Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

help with simple PWM modulation board for any laser pointer

hello guys

i just would like to know if it is viable option to use signal generator as a simple switch in front of actual laser driver.. see picture.
would it work fine, or is my thinking completely off.

all i need is 1- 30 hz. so slow blinking basicaly.

thank you

Attachments

• pwm laser project.png
    pwm laser project.png
    733.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

You probably won't get the current you need to drive the laser diode. These PWM unit are good for modulating a driver that allows for that.

You probably won't get the current you need to drive the laser diode. These PWM unit are good for modulating a driver that allows for that.

so thats why i put mosfet switch/ that that acts as gate switch from battery straight to driver.
i didnt metioned that, but it is on the picture i attached

That may not be enough. There are drivers out there that allow for modulation with PWMs.

That may not be enough. There are drivers out there that allow for modulation with PWMs.
oh..
i thought that that mosfet allow all the juice from the battery to go to the driver..

in that case, i found only some big dirvers 12-24v.. i would like to keep it compact, as all i need is like 5-10mw from a laser.

do you know some small size pwm driver that can be driven by single battery.. 18650 or so ?

oh..
i thought that that mosfet allow all the juice from the battery to go to the driver..

in that case, i found only some big dirvers 12-24v.. i would like to keep it compact, as all i need is like 5-10mw from a laser.

do you know some small size pwm driver that can be driven by single battery.. 18650 or so ?
Barnette Unlimited has some PWN/TTL drivers that should fit what you need.

I thought that drivers that accept a PWM signal use it to adjust power level. The intensity of a continuous beam is varied but the laser does not "blink" on and off. Could be wrong.

I thought that drivers that accept a PWM signal use it to adjust power level. The intensity of a continuous beam is varied but the laser does not "blink" on and off. Could be wrong.

Yes, these drivers do turn the laser on and off, but at a rate that is too fast to see.

PWM drivers adjust the output power by rapidly turning the laser on/off. So while its on the laser is running at full power, but by turning it on and off rapidly you change the average power.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation
So the laser diode is pulsed at a frequency, say 10K ( 10,000 pulses per second ) and each pulse has a duration of on and off time, the on time being the pulse width...... so a 50% pulse width would be on for half each pulse and off for half each pulse.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation
So the laser diode is pulsed at a frequency, say 10K ( 10,000 pulses per second ) and each pulse has a duration of on and off time, the on time being the pulse width...... so a 50% pulse width would be on for half each pulse and off for half each pulse.
Yeah, what the OP needs is a driver with TTL blanking.

The rp2040 ca be a VERY good PWM/signal generator, I’m planning to use in a future project.

But use it to command a TTL capable driver as mentioned!

Back