Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with power vs. irradiance

Hi.

I have been researching the vast complexities & details that come into play when choosing the “right” laser in alignment with all of the old & new regulations when it comes to buying & selling laser-pointers. Basically, the more I learn, the more confused I become.

SO —

I am working on a new game/product that consists of a laser-pointer as one of the main features. I’ve run myself in circles trying to decide the absolute best laser to purchase from the supplier, and here’s why:

What has me confused at this point is power vs. irradiance… I had a very knowledgeable source say that I should stay within the 5mW (3R) to stay within FDA regulations however he also said I might can get away with using a 25mW laser IF the irradiance is below MPE (2.54 mW per sq. cm).

My primary objective is to have the most visible “beam” possible without breaking any laws or putting my consumers’ safety in jeopardy. I don’t necessarily need this beam to travel a long distance, but I need a beam that doesn’t get to wide. Maximum distance would be 600-1000 feet.

Can someone help me think through the best possible combination of wattage vs. irradiance to use?

Thank you much!

T

Metryq

I can't help with your tech question, but I'm curious about this "game"—if you can tell us anything about it. 200 to 300 meters sounds like a long distance for a game.

Many years ago I recall visiting a family entertainment center with some friends, and one of the attractions was a laser tag shoot-'em-up game. People split up into two teams, each armed with red laser pistols and a MILES-like sensor vest. If I'm remembering correctly, the vests were wired to the pistols, so getting hit deactivated one's laser, until visiting a reactivation station. The room was filled with mineral oil smoke and used subdued lighting to make the beams stand out. Again if I'm remembering correctly, the longest dimension of the room couldn't have been over 15 to 20 meters. That is also the length of an indoor shooting range I use sometimes. Some newbs completely miss a US letter-sized target about 50% of the time at that distance.

So, just curious about your intended game. Perhaps it will help someone more knowledgeable to answer your question.

We can help you a lot better if you actually tell us something about what you're trying to build.