Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with LM317 Driver for 1W 808nm Diode

ronox

Hi,

Ive been looking all over, and through other forum posts, but nowhere is giving me the direct information i need.

I want to construct a LM317 regulator circuit for my 1W 808nm laser diodes. I was particularly hoping to have the regulator fit inside the laser housing.

My problem is, i dont know what input voltage to provide, i have 2W 1Ohm resistors on their way, so the regulator will put out 1.25A, the recomended operating current for my diodes. I want to make sure i have the right voltage to prevent too much heat being dissipated by the regulator, as the diode and regulator will share the same heatsink housing.

Also, as i am planning on building some things requiring a burning laser to run off batteries and it wont have enough room for a regulator, just a single resistor, how do i go about working out the correct resistance to use?
I have a 3V cr123A battery which i want to use to power a 1W 808nm Laser diode which needs 2.2v, i need a current of 1-1.25A.
Also, i have 2x 1.2V NIMH batteries i will use in series, what resistance do i need for them?

Im not sure exactly how voltage drop comes into all this, when calculating desired resistance.

Lastly,
Ive been planning for a while to sell drivers built into my laser modules, which are essentially just diodes in focuseable housings. Does anyone know a driver design that would fit inside a to-5 laser housing?
I was planning on building the LM317 driver as i could get one chi[p and the resistor, pls perhaps a capacitor inside the housing, but again, i dont know exactly how the voltage drop and amount of heat dissipated works into this.

Thanks

Fiddy

hey man,

Is this going inside a host? and is your diode case positive?

If so you have a problem with using a LM317.

^nonsense. You can put the LM317 on the other side of the load - It doesn't care. :)

Fiddy

^ OUTRAGEOUS! you certainly cant with a case positive diode unless you isolate the diode from the case.

Maybe you missed the part where I said "other side of the load," but I'll draw it out for you (and others) anyway:

attachment.php

Attachments

• lm317 after load.png
    lm317 after load.png
    5 KB · Views: 1,201