Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with lasers

Hello, I am new to the world of lasers and don't know much about building them yet. I want to obtain or build a burning laser for $50 or less, and I would like the highest mW for the lowest price. I am not particular about color, but I figured that red lasers tend to be the cheapest and simplest, so I posted here.

As I am only a beginner, I would not like to buy too many parts that require careful and precise analysis and fitting. As I said, I am also fine with buying a pre-assembled laser for a decent price from a reputable source. I would prefer a high milliwattage if possible; at least 100 mW, higher is better. I would not like to order from Dealextreme due to the warnings on the site.

Also, I would need to know what kind of safety measures f(such as goggles) I would need to obtain to work with a laser like this.

If anybody can help me, please reply.

Thanks,
Mark

What is a heatsink and how do I set it to 275 mA? Also, what does a FlexDrive do and why do I need it? Will I need to obtain an Aixiz module?

-Mark

jayrob

There are a few tutorials for different hosts. You will first want to take some time and read some of them:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190456606

You will need to decide which host you like best, the battery supply will determine your driver choices.

The FlexDrive is an excellent driver, but you will need to learn about how to properly set the current:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197651171#1

It's a little confusing at first, so don't get into too much of a hurry. Take the time to do the reading.

Yes, you will need:

Host
Driver
AixiZ module
LD

Heatsink for high power.

Here's another tutorial, DDL shows how to set up a washer style heatsink:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870
Jay

A heatsink is a machined bit of metal (usually alluminium for a good price/performance ration) which helps dissipate heat off the module so the diode doesnt die as easily.

A driver is something which regulates current and voltage. The number one rules is DO NOT CONNECT THE DIODE TO THE BATTERIES WITHOUT A CURRENT REGULATOR. The flexdrive is the driver that does this.

To set the current on the driver, you need to make a test load which simulates the draw of a laser diode. Search the forums (tutorials help and repairs section would be a good one to check) and you can gather lots of information.

You need a module, yes. The most common one is an Aixiz module, which you install the diode in. I hear it is quite a tricky thing to do, so alot of patience and concentration is needed.

Hope I helped ease some things, some of the more knowledgable members can help you with any more in-depth questions you have.

Aww jay, I didnt see your post.

you won't set the heatsink to 275mA, you'll set the flexdriver to 275mA

a heatsink is a metal casing around whatever is hot to transfer the heat more easily to the air, so in this case the diode itself, otherwise the diode would die of heat.
the flexdriver is a driver made by drlava (?) on this forum to "drive" the laser, you also have the rckstr driver, and a DDL driver made by members.
you'll need a driver because a laser diode needs to have a maximum current, if you go above that, the life of your diode is shorter, the same by LED'S!

with higher powered laser diodes and LED's you'll need a heatsink so you diode can't get very hot because the heatsink transfers the heat away.
(the same as; why do you think your computer processor and videocard need a heatsink? (and maybe a fan?) against overheating!)

If you want to build a red laser you will need to know how to solder so here's a video I found that will give you the basics --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Now you want to get a driver that is small so you have more space in you host I'd
recommend these ones --> http://rkcstr.googlepages.com/order
Get the 350 ma driver and solder the leads to the diode (when its in a axiz module) here --> http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67

Once everything is set up add a 6v power supply and have fun burning!

--hydro15

WELCOME to LPF ;) If you want ALL your info. in one place, go to the very top of the TUTORIAL SECTION, & read the sticky by SPYDERZ. It tells you EVERYTHING you need to know & links you to all the important stuff, I put it in my favorites section, & after reading it, you may want to also. phoenix77/rob :cool:

Thanks for your help Hydro15!

I do have some basic soldering skills, but I am unsure of how to fit the driver into the host. I will take a closer look at the tutorials as well.

What power would the Sony diode in the Aixiz housing be?

-Mark

Maven

no one seems to be mentioning the dealextreme 200mw red laser...

anyway i think it would be a better experience for you to build your own anyway. however, with a 200mw laser i would suggest you buy a pair of safety glasses so you don't hurt your eyes looking at the dot. the goggles alone will probably be 40-50 dollars.

Maven said:
no  one seems to be mentioning the dealextreme 200mw red laser...

anyway i think it would be a better experience for you to build your own anyway. however, with a 200mw laser i would suggest you buy a pair of safety glasses so you don't hurt your eyes looking at the dot. the goggles alone will probably be 40-50 dollars.

I can't post links, but I was wondering: would the safety goggles found at Dragonlasers work? If I were to buy them, would it be better to buy the 590-650 nm goggles or the 640-750 nm goggles?

About the DX laser, I posted a separate forum. It doesn't really matter to me whether or not I make it or buy it, I am just looking for the best value. I would not like to pay more to buy my own when I could buy a pre-assembled one that I wouldn't break while building.

-Mark

You would probably be happier then, to buy the DX 200mW,
at $43. shipped, it's the best bargain going.

You shouldn't worry much about the obligatory warning  notice on DX site, just DON't ship EMS.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11315

ps, it's back ordered, prolly take a month.
Look in the Buy-Sell_Trade section for pro built good deals.

Maven

rocket either of those should work the laser (i believe) is 650nm. maybe other lasers you plan on getting would influence your buy if you are going to deal with something closer to IR the get the second pair.. or if you are going to get a 635(orangish) then you would probably want the first