Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with first build

I've looked through some of the threads here, well a lot , and I think I've got a pretty good idea of how things work more or less. I wanted to do a build using a lightsaber hilt from Ultrasabers, specifically The Initiate v2 which comes with the hilt, pommel (end cap) and a hole for a switch/button.
The problem is I'm stuck in an area where I have no access to tools or other equipment and even if I did have access I'm by no way a machinist. So I was wondering if there was anyone here who would be able to do heavy modifications to it to get it ready (copper heat seat, modify the pommel, battery sleeve for tube, custom pill and heatsink for driver.) I'd be able to pay good for it and am trying to do this for a friend of mine.
All I really have in mind right now for the laser itself is either a 405nm or 445nm somewhere in the 300 - 500mw range but haven't really thought out a parts list yet aside from that.

Talk to a few of the well known builders here like Jayrob or Lazeerer. They can negotiate with you about pricing or they might be able to point you to other builders if they can't. Post a link to the hilt you are talking about.

On a side note, 445s are dangerous to use without goggles, and these CANNOT be used as toys, especially at that power range. They will not be "pointers" and should not be treated as such. You will have to invest on a good pair of goggles and warn your friend of the dangers.

-John

We both already own a couple of high powered lasers for a few years and the safety equipment for them however neither of us has actually ever built one or had a custom one done so I think that she'd really like it. the link to it is Real Lightsaber : FX Lightsaber : Build Your Own Lightsaber : Star Wars Lightsabers : Custom Lightsabers for Sale : Light Sabers : Ultra Sabers, LLC.

Thanks for the advice though I was looking at Jayrob's stuff but wasn't sure if he does completely custom stuff, I'll hit him up.

hmm, if you need a heatsink, pm eudamoin (i think thats how you spell it) cause he has some cheap prices, im not too sure if you can get a 300-500mw blue diode, i'd recommend getting this: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes and having whatever driver your using at about 1.6A. thats all i can recommend, also, think about buying a dremel kit, they only cost around £20 from ebay and they can do all sorts of laser stuff such as sanding, grinding,polishing etc

It'd seem that the OP wants a laser custom built, not to build it himself.

I'd say talk to Lazeerer, Eudamonium, Wolfman29 (only after May, if you can wait) they can custom make your laser. Just be ready to shell out a little more for custom mades, but they all are fair and have great service.

true point, but he would save a lot if he did it himself, and with a dremel it cant be that hard, but if he does decide to get it custom made, with all the people hes going to send it to, he will have to wait like 1month for all the shipping and stuff, and the end cost if going to be really high

just checked out the lightsaber, were you planning on removing the blade or using the laser to light it up?

"High" Cost is subjective, and most of the builders I talked to don't need to send for parts other than what is ordered. It would be the same for him to order the parts himself, but he'd need to learn how to actually do everything, and potentially risk things going wrong, though I'm not saying it would.

Hey guys sorry it's taken so long to respond. I was planning on removing the blade. As for the cost, yea I kinda figured it'd be pretty expensive but also look pretty nice too especially with some of the work I've seen people do here. I'm planning on learning a lot more when I get back home and I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forums as well as some other sources however the reason I asked if someone can do custom work like that is that I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan so it's kinda hard to even get something like a soldering iron here. I did however order some stuff from Survival Lasers just so I can get the hang of some things and get a better understanding of being able to put one together myself. They were actually pretty great cause I realized that they don't ship to military APO addresses and I talked to Gary and he told me to just give him my address and he'd send the stuff directly to me which was very awesome of him.