Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with 2214-25SLAB startup

95se5m

Hello all.
I have a 2214-25SLAB that throws a beam on the HV tic when trying to start, but it never catches. Any way ya'll can think of to fire this up not having an Oudin coil avaliable to me?

Thanks...

If it lases while trying to start, then the pressure can't be too far out of operating range. Try just letting it try to start for a while. I bet it will come on shortly.

95se5m

I have let it sit for 1/2 an hour making a cute little flash every 1/2 to 1/4 second, it never did fire.

As for the voltage, I am going under the assumption it's at 80 to 90 based on the matched power supply, I have not attempted to meter out the umbilical to verify voltages...

an oudin coil will really be the easiest way. Or any sort of hv supply will work. You can try zapping the anode end with a hene psu if you have one, just don't get too close. Also measure the tube volts before the clicking starts. It should be close to 150vdc when measured between either leg of the cathode and the anode. MAKE SURE to remove the leads before the start pulse, or it will kill your DMM instantly.

Other than that, the fact that it is lasing is a GOOD sign. Just means it is a bit high pressure, which is no big deal once you get it to start. Just make sure to let it run for a while once it gets going.

Honestly, if you plan to keep playing with gas lasers, a BD-10A oudin coil will be one of the best investments you'll make. Even if you don't use it for lasers, it's a pretty cool toy just to have.

But gus, the HV is only to start it. He's already started it if only for a split second which would point to the PSU's lack of ability to sustain the arc.

I've had three or four heads that would lase on the start pulse but couldn't quite strike an arc. They just needed a little help to maintain. Since it is lasing, we know that the correct voltage and amperage is present at the anode, it just isn't getting quite enough to maintain the arc. For example, I can hit a hene with 50kV, the arc doesn't completely make it to the cathode, but it is still enough juice to get a tiny bit of lasing. I suspect the same thing is happening here, the start pulse excites it enough to lase, but not quite enough to maintain the arc.