Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help With 2 Dead Lasers

Guitarship1

I received a couple dead lasers on Ebay. A SolidKraft clone with a purple laser emitter and a laser 301 with a red emitter. Both are dead, I don't know yet if the diodes are dead or the drivers are dead. I disassembled the purple laser and have the diode/driver assembly removed. Has anyone had experience with this laser, and if so could you recommend a replacement driver and or diode for it. 200mw would be nice but not absolutely necessary. I haven't had a chance to take apart the red laser yet to see what it looks like. Same question with it. I have some cellphone pictures I could upload if need be. Thanks..

Tony

if you have an adjustable power supply you can test a diode by turning the voltage up very slowly( if 405nm 4-5v) and ampere very slowly also. you are going for a low operational/1 second or less light output. Shine on white paper wear protective amber/yellow lenses. The drive can be tested also by using a multimeter connected to driver ..connected to an led.

Guitarship1

I don't have an adjustable supply. I don't plan on re-using the diodes or drivers. The laser 301 is toast after "disassembly" The other laser host/handle is actually pretty nice and would make a nice start to a homemade laser. My ebay seller sent me two new operational lasers, the blue/purple doesnt have a real good spot size, the red one is ok, fairly bright and has adjustable focus. I still have 3 HeNe gas lasers from 20 years ago or so. One a bare tube, 2 Melles Griot tubes from grocery store scanners and 2 or 3 Laser Drive brand power supplies.. I had built a power supply from a kit years and years ago, no idea where its at now..

Those 301 and 304 lasers are quite inexpensive and not really worth your time trying to repair them. You should be able to replace them for $6.00 or less. Good luck.

Guitarship1

my advice to you is, if you are going to be in the hobby, then you need a power supply.

I have a couple power supplies, just not adjustable, I could probably whip something up easily enough though.
Meh, can buy an adjustable for less than 30.00 shipped, not worth messing around trying to put one together.,

Last edited: