Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help needed !

Hi guys I am new to the forum and also to lasers.
Have been looking online just this week only have been fascinated!

So my question is I do not own a laser, which should I buy ?

-Obviously I want something which goes far
- something which creates a beam
- which burns plastic a little
- preferably a red beam,is it better than green ? The same no different ?

Budget <$50

Please forgive me my terminology is not great in this field. Please don't confuse me with figures and terms I wont understand.

So far I understand you get different colours, mw is the power i think?

Nm is wavelength?

When looking across the Internet it seems the green ones do the burning? 532 wavelength

Red is 650 dont burn.

Green more powerful than red? I don't know /I'm not sure just making assumptions what i roughly seen.

Your recommendations please....:thanks::thanks:

Hello Turbazz,

Every single one of your questions has already been answered by many previous members. Just click the white search bar at the bottom and you'll find all your answers! :)

-Alex

94Z28

I would recommend to go make an introduction to the forum and look around a bit, maybe do a few searches because the amount of knowledge about your questions is LARGE.

It doesn't matter the color (wavelength) when it comes to burning; It's about power, and the power density really (how focused your power is, via the adjustable focus lens). I have red lasers that are low power which can still burn when focused to a tiny pin-point. My green lasers can burn generally, but they're DPSS and I only have a focusable lens on one of them and it still doesn't burn as well because it's lower power.

Good luck! Read safety topics before you start playing with lasers also!

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I would recommend to go make an introduction to the forum and look around a bit, maybe do a few searches because the amount of knowledge about your questions is LARGE.

It doesn't matter the color (wavelength) when it comes to burning; It's about power, and the power density really (how focused your power is, via the adjustable focus lens). I have red lasers that are low power which can still burn when focused to a tiny pin-point. My green lasers can burn generally, but they're DPSS and I only have a focusable lens on one of them and it still doesn't burn as well because it's lower power.

Good luck! Read safety topics before you start playing with lasers also!

So wavelength depends on the colour ? But the wavelength doesn't determine it range/power

Being that you don't know anything about lasers, but you want one that's powerful enough to burn, the first thing that you need to know is that you will need safety glasses. what glasses you get depends on what color laser you get/want.

How much are glasses can you recommend a website ? How do I know which colour I need

Razako

Pick a laser out and we can tell you which glasses to buy. Survivallaserusa sells good safety glasses.

It's kinda hard picking an idea laser for you in the <$50 range. You want it to burn a little AND produce a beam?

Something like this is probably the best power/visibility combo you'll find for under $70.
New waterproof Blue laser 1W torch /focusable [OL-BLUW] - $54.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

A green probably won't be powerful enough to burn much at your budget. You'd need to up your budget a bit to get a good green burner.

A burning red which produces a visible beam would cost you quite a bit too.

Thanks razako! I am from the UK So I need somebody that's going to ship here. I don't know what to buy there's too much on the market. Everybody keeps saying information is already on the forum... Can't find it... Decent red laser ?.

Can you recommend a red laser? Decent beam and burns a little. What's the cheapest one you can find on the market ? Forget the budget now Lol.

94Z28

You can get a 301 red laser and if you get lucky it will burn and cut electrical tape, just depends on the quality of that particular unit. Otherwise, the next steps up into something with better quality will be above 50$ and you will need to spend another 50$ in safety.

Power Rock waterproof Red laser torch 250mW /Focusable [OL-PRRL250] - $45.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
This one may be a good place to start, it should burn some stuff at 250mw while being focusable, but I haven't personally tried this item so I cannot guarantee it.

Oops I forgot that Sanwu pocket laser is 50$ also this is the one I would get in red.
https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/pocket

Last edited:
Thanks guys I think I will order th one you recommend, so the 638 does produce a beam and burn if focused? To confirm I don't want to order the wrong one Lol.

What glasses should I get with this and when should I wear them ?

diachi

Thanks guys I think I will order th one you recommend, so the 638 does produce a beam and burn if focused? To confirm I don't want to order the wrong one Lol.

Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

If you're wanting to look at the beam then don't wear them - you won't see the beam with them on. Which is the point... Just make sure the laser isn't going to roll off a table or some such when you're viewing the beam. Make sure it's secure and that it can't bounce off of a mirror or other reflective surface into your eyes while you're viewing the beam.

Wear them when burning and viewing the dot up close.

Really I always advise starting with a lower power laser so that you can get a feel of what reflects the beam and such without risking eye damage.

Read some of the threads in the safety section (especially the sticky posts). Safety & Legal Issues - Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers

Last edited:

Razako

Yes it burns. If you go to my review you'll see it lighting several matches. It also produces a relatively visible beam in the night sky. Nothing crazy, but it's visible.

Yes it burns. If you go to my review you'll see it lighting several matches. It also produces a relatively visible beam in the night sky. Nothing crazy, but it's visible.

Thank you very much for your response

Where is the review?

Its okay I found the review thanks. You said in the review its beam is equivalent To a 15 mw green laser? Do green lasers produce a beam a lot easier ? Might have to stop being fussy and buy a green 301

Seems to tick all the boxes lol.

Last edited:

Razako

Its okay I found the review thanks. You said in the review its beam is equivalent To a 15 mw green laser? Do green lasers produce a beam a lot easier ? Might have to stop being fussy and buy a green 301

Seems to tick all the boxes lol.
If you're mostly interested in a beam, then green lasers are the best bang for your buck.