Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"HELP" - Need 150mw LENS REPLACEMENT!

-FROG- said:
[quote author=Montana64 link=1228375623/0#14 date=1228433802][quote author=ElektroFreak link=1228375623/0#11 date=1228432243]dremel+lens=BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD......  :( :( Never use a dremel on a lens. Even on a glass one, and even with the softest polishing head you can find.. only use q-tips and alcohol, or just a soft piece of cotton. I'm sure you've already learned your lesson, though..

Belt sander works pretty good though!   ::) ;D ;D ;D   (j/k)

Ted
[/quote]

I didn't use the grind tools of the Dremel. Dremels have a cotton buffer, you can put on a low setting and gently buff out plastics and what not. It is a good tool, but the lens was just too cheap.[/quote]

Seriously, though, you're going to find yourself with a bit of a job replacing the lens. You'll have to force (carefully) the case open and get at the module inside. Once you have the module, you'll have to find a similar module and remove it's lens and put it in your module, then refocus your module and secure the lens. Why do that, though? If you have to get another module to harvest the lens, why not just throw that module into the laser and replace the old broken one completely? That's exactly what should be done, but there's a holdup there, too. The cost of the replacement module could be expensive depending on what kind of quality suits you. If you're content with a cheaper module and can find one that will fit your case, you'll likely end up with inferior performance overall. If you want stellar performance and high power, it'll cost you. Plus you'll have to make sure it'll fit or that you can make it fit. In the long run you may be better off buying a new laser... :'(

-FROG-

Well any disassembly and what not is no problem. I have been tearing lasers apart since 1997. I'm an Engineering Technician at Intel so I have all the equipment I need for working on lasers at work, with my microscope and what not.

But, these particular laser lenses are simple. You unscrew the end cap and then unscrew the lens. It's that simple. Most of my lasers have been pretty much the same design. The mini keychain and pin lasers are pretty much all the same universal design. Really simple...

I agree though about trying to find another laser lens. I've been searching off and on for years. I sent an email to China so maybe I'll hear some good news soon...

Here are some pictures of the simplicity. If I only had another lens.... bah!

l_e0a209ca9b994247861ebc5ed5c3c371.jpg

l_bafc27e69c80463f8133380a36dced46.jpg

l_87f738096d69421c96f9e18a8a00c673.jpg

l_9e8657b0c7474a7c991979ba4ad66752.jpg

l_8910ace446fd45cfbd930b0db6db8348.jpg

l_16cbcbc3d01a411e91edefedfcc1ef66.jpg

You may be able to pop the lens out of a CD\DVD\Blu-ray sled and use it. Looks to be about the right size..

-FROG-

ElektroFreak said:
You may be able to pop the lens out of a CD\DVD\Blu-ray sled and use it. Looks to be about the right size..

hmmm.... yes, that is a good idea. It may work! I'm gonna try and tackle that down and let you know if it works. Thanks! :)

I hope you find a good replacement! :)

Dang, that's a nice case! I wish my awesome RadioShack Green had a case like that. A nice flip open case where you can store batteries in like that. But meh, I guess it's what you keep inside the case is what counts! :D

Frog,
I was saving this for something special, but you seem to need it worse than I do.
 Plastic lens, .271 across, .090 thick, convex on both sides and dremel free.
Nov2008006.jpg

PM me if interested, Catmandoo

-FROG-

Catmandoo said:
Frog,
I was saving this for something special, but you seem to need it worse than I do.
 Plastic lens, .271 across, .090 thick, convex on both sides and dremel free.

PM me if interested, Catmandoo

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if the convex sides would be pretty universal? I'll shoot you a PM real quick. Thanks!

I love how you show off your car in the vids. Lol! That's a sweet ride!!! I dive a BMW 328i and I love it!

Anyways, that quite a quandary you're in. I never mess with my lenses. If they're covered in dust use compressed air the kind that comes in a can. If I were you I would try to buy the same kind of laser but a lower power, 5mW if you can. Then swap the lens out of that. Or email what ever company you got it form to see if they can sell you a replacement lens. Maybe get the lens from an Aixiz acrylic lens. The glass one will be more difficult to modify to get it to fit. You may have to sacrifice some divergence.

-RJ

-FROG-

Xplorer877 said:
I love how you show off your car in the vids. Lol! That's a sweet ride!!! I dive a BMW 328i and I love it!

Anyways, that quite a quandary you're in. I never mess with my lenses. If they're covered in dust use compressed air the kind that comes in a can. If I were you I would try to buy the same kind of laser but a lower power, 5mW if you can. Then swap the lens out of that. Or email what ever company you got it form to see if they can sell you a replacement lens. Maybe get the lens from an Aixiz acrylic lens. The glass one will be more difficult to modify to get it to fit. You may have to sacrifice some divergence.

-RJ

Thanks about my car, lol. It's makes a GREAT Marketing tool... I absolutely LOVE BMW's! I always carry miy lasers in my pocket so they constantly get pocket fuzz in them. So that's why I always clean my lenses off. My "Atlas Nova" has a glass lens and I always wipe that sucker off, so I assuimed my 150mw was glass too... since I paid about $450.00 for it. So I didn't even give it a second thought wiping the lens off.

I already tried to find the same style laser at lower power. That was my first attempt.... but they are NOWHERE to be found because it uses AA, instead of AAA batteries. Some company in China must have had a low run of these lasers so they are nowhere to be found now. I have emailed numerous companies in China with lasers simular to these but they judt don't respond unless you are a Distributor... not to mention the terrible language barrier.

Thanks for the input though. I do appreciate it.