Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Help - My First Build - Laser Cigarette Lighter

What about a lighter that used a hypergolic chemical reaction to light so you wouldn't have to worry about the flint or piezoelectric sparker not working in tough conditions.

Could have one tank of compressed Kerosene and the other of Fuming Nitric Acid. Similar to some early liquid fuel rockets, these chemical produce a fairly exciting reaction when the mix. 😆 A 1mW green laser could be added as a laser sight to guide the raging inferno unleashed from your new pocket flamethrower. I mean who wants Nitric Acid spraying in their face when they are trying to enjoy a relaxing smoke? :LOL:

Just kidding ofc. 😆 PLEASE don't actually try this. 😁

What about a lighter that used a hypergolic chemical reaction to light so you wouldn't have to worry about the flint or piezoelectric sparker not working in tough conditions.

Could have one tank of compressed Kerosene and the other of Fuming Nitric Acid. Similar to some early liquid fuel rockets, these chemical produce a fairly exciting reaction when the mix. 😆 A 1mW green laser could be added as a laser sight to guide the raging inferno unleashed from your new pocket flamethrower. I mean who wants Nitric Acid spraying in their face when they are trying to enjoy a relaxing smoke? :LOL:

Just kidding ofc. 😆 PLEASE don't actually try this. 😁
Sounds like you're on board with the Rube Goldberg machine! :LOL:
Your idea sounds like it might be using one of the ascent stage rockets from a '60s lunar lander! but those were single use only... :ROFLMAO:

Hey, Ears and Eggs you might get a kick from watching this video! I sure did! :LOL: Hank is just the best! :LOL:

"I think somebody said something mean about it somewhere and it was like @%$@##%&##%!!!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on board with the Rube Goldberg machine! :LOL:
Your idea sounds like it might be using one of the ascent stage rockets from a '60s lunar lander! but those were single use only... :ROFLMAO:

Hey, Ears and Eggs you might get a kick from watching this video! I sure did! :LOL: Hank is just the best! :LOL:

"I think somebody said something mean about it somewhere and it was like @%$@##%&##%!!!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Woah! :oops:

Up next: Chlorine Trifluoride ampules as campfire starters, Thioacetone "Fart" spray, Azidoazide Aazide stump remover, Dimethylcadmium shoe polish, and Fluoroantimonic Acid to clean tough protein stains off your Hentai figures. :D

Woah! :oops:

Up next: Chlorine Trifluoride ampules as campfire starters, Thioacetone "Fart" spray, Azidoazide Aazide stump remover, Dimethylcadmium shoe polish, and Fluoroantimonic Acid to clean tough protein stains off your Hentai figures. :D
Ever since I watched that video I've been practicing saying Azidoazide Aazide, "because it's hard"... :LOL:

For those interested this is the current plan:
laser1.jpg
To clarify as some people seemed to have got some ideas twisted along the way;
This will be a novelty item for my own personal use.
It will only be used by myself and maybe one or two of my friends after I explain to them that it's a very powerful laser that can blind you faster than you can blink etc.
I will be acquiring suitable safety glasses from a reputable source to be used while building and testing the laser.
I will only use it without safety glasses when I am satisfied that there is no risk of hazardous reflections etc.
It will not be a kipkay-style bic laser. I didn't think I would have to explain that but here we are.

This whole project is about having fun and teaching myself about lasers. If I wanted a practical lighter I've already got two zippos and an imco, and as someone pointed out I could get any kind of arc lighter or coil lighter online. I'm not out here to design the next groundbreaking product, I'm just keeping myself entertained as an out-of-work engineer during the pandemic. Thanks for all your contributions to the thread though guys, I'll keep you updated 😘

It's actually funny though, when we actively discuss lasers stuff instead of politics (the otherwise most active thread on this forum), veteran members want to lock this thread.

If you publish your work on reddit or elsewhere, maybe dont credit this place. Or do, for the lulz.

I added a one way rubber valve at the cigarette hole to prevent any kind of backsplash of the beam and a second switch as a kind of safety interlock so that it won't fire unless the cigarette is pushing again the back of the housing as well as the main switch. Basically the beam is completely contained as best as possible. Still not totally foolproof, but best way I could think of. Still would absolutely recommend goggles and be very careful who is allowed to handle something like this.

Lighter.jpg

I added a one way rubber valve at the cigarette hole to prevent any kind of backsplash of the beam and a second switch as a kind of safety interlock so that it won't fire unless the cigarette is pushing again the back of the housing as well as the main switch. Basically the beam is completely contained as best as possible. Still not totally foolproof, but best way I could think of. Still would absolutely recommend goggles and be very careful who is allowed to handle something like this.

Lighter.jpg
The only thing it needs is a little stopper that stops the tip of the sig in the beam, and that stopper could push the interlock switch, that way it lights the sig at the tip and not 5 or 10 mm from the end of the sig...

And maybe a glass window between the module and the chamber because cleaning a flat glass window would be easier to clean than a lens...

Also, the diode will need to be of sufficient power to actually light the sig so it will need some copper mass to wick away the heat so the module should be big enough to be pressed into the host?

Last edited:

Lighter.jpg
Good idea, although I'm not sure how I'd manage the interlock switch. It would have to be incredibly sensitive to be able to actuate it without bending the cig (especially as I'm partial to the odd rollie), but the valve is a good shout. Just spitballing but a nylon brush covering the opening might be easier than rubber, at least for me, or I'm considering a cig-sized tube.

The only thing it needs is a little stopper that stops the tip of the sig in the beam, and that stopper could push the interlock switch, that way it lights the sig at the tip and not 5 or 10 mm from the end of the sig...

And maybe a glass window between the module and the chamber because cleaning a flat glass window would be easier to clean than a lens...

Also, the diode will need to be of sufficient power to actually light the sig so it will need some copper mass to wick away the heat so the module should be big enough to be pressed into the host?
I ordered a 12x30mm copper module with an Osram PLTB450B 1.6W 450nm laser and glass lens:
1615642244290.png
Ordered a separate driver as the module didn't come with one, no real details just mystery chinesium but if the listing is accurate it should be appropriate for the build. Both module and driver are meant to be good for 1.8A and 3.7V so shouldn't be hard finding a battery assuming they're all functional. I'm hoping I won't need an additional heatsink as it's already a copper module but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know ;)

You don't need additional heat sinking you only use it in short bursts with cool down in between. If the rest of the device is made of metal and has good contact with the laser, then that effectively extends the heat sinking.

You can avoid getting dirt on the optics if you implement a small fan and use it to create a positive pressure in the burning cavity. That will actively push smoke and particles out and away from the optics, while also speed up the ignition.

Back