Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me understand what I did wrong

tse dk

sorry for interrupting..

I made the same driver AND test-load just a couple of days ago with almost the same result. LD put out a faint red light, no flash or nothing, just a light faint enough that I knew something wasnt right.

After the failure had been faced (and accepted mind you) I kinda gave ESP the blame for the crippled diode. I ran the driver with 7.2V and had the current regulated at around 100mw and even discharged the cap prior to the initial LD test.

The driver and everything built seems fine. Ive tested the resistors, the adjustable pot and the cap.. all is very close to spec. What I dont understand is when powered by 2x 16340's @ ~7.2V I still meassure aprox 6,9v output of the driver. This doesnt add up when compared to the text and what I read from you guys about the LM317.
Have I understood correctly I would get around (7.2 - 3v)= 4.2v output

any ideas on that one. ? maybe I could help the both of us :)

jordan

sorry for interrupting..

I made the same driver AND test-load just a couple of days ago with almost the same result. LD put out a faint red light, no flash or nothing, just a light faint enough that I knew something wasnt right.

After the failure had been faced (and accepted mind you) I kinda gave ESP the blame for the crippled diode. I ran the driver with 7.2V and had the current regulated at around 100mw and even discharged the cap prior to the initial LD test.

The driver and everything built seems fine. Ive tested the resistors, the adjustable pot and the cap.. all is very close to spec. What I dont understand is when powered by 2x 16340's @ ~7.2V I still meassure aprox 6,9v output of the driver. This doesnt add up when compared to the text and what I read from you guys about the LM317.
Have I understood correctly I would get around (7.2 - 3v)= 4.2v output

any ideas on that one. ? maybe I could help the both of us :)

maybe you didn't discharge the cap properly? how did you do it?

tse dk

I just shorted its connections with the tip of a blade.. even tested it afterwards and it didnt read any voltage. Guess I'll just have to find me another old dvd-burner and give it another go.

Hope we eventually get it right :)