Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me salvage pictures off a messed up SD

I was taking pictures today when I filled my memory card. So, I deleted old pictures and kept taking more. When I tried putting them on the computer, there was about 75 that didn't make it. Along with a few errors and malfunctions with a couple cameras trying to read and transfer those pics, and the computer not recognizing anything in the SD slot which could be a computer problem, I've determined the missing pics are still intact as the are viewable on the cameras.

Unless I can find a way to read the card directly with my computer, I see only a few available options:

Try transferring them to my phone via wifi only getting maybe 1-2MP of the 18MP per image, which sucks, but is better than nothing.

You guys helping me find a way to use my camera to read the files, and hack into it to copy them off.

Or maybe one of you mad scientists can force salvage info off memory cards?

Thanks for any help and ideas. I'll work on wifi transferring

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, I have a copy of Recuva on my laptop too. Very good software, worth a try. Just not guaranteed.
Someone deleted some of my work at uni out of maliciousness.
Unfortunately my hard drive had already overwritten the files, but it did prove their existence to my tutors.

Yep, this.
I’ve used it in the past, very good software.

:)

I use the free version of this https://www.z-a-recovery.com/
Just had to use it the other night when I deleted the wrong file on a flash drive.

I don't think the linked programs are useful. His problem is two fold. The pc does not recognize the sd card and that prevents tranfering images.

I don't think the linked programs are useful. His problem is two fold. The pc does not recognize the sd card and that prevents tranfering images.

Data is there.. Trust me, you'll have to dig it from there

EDIT
Been there, in same situation, done that many times with my old camera & SD card..

Yep, I have a copy of Recuva on my laptop too. Very good software, worth a try. Just not guaranteed.
Someone deleted some of my work at uni out of maliciousness.
Unfortunately my hard drive had already overwritten the files, but it did prove their existence to my tutors.

ONLY CCleaner 5.33 was affected, never Recuva.
That was because hacked CCleaner D/L..

My first choise is try Recuva

On Sept. 13, Cisco Talos found that the official download of the free versions of CCleaner 5.33 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191 also contained “a malicious payload

Last edited:
I was taking pictures today when I filled my memory card. So, I deleted old pictures and kept taking more. When I tried putting them on the computer, there was about 75 that didn't make it. Along with a few errors and malfunctions with a couple cameras trying to read and transfer those pics, and the computer not recognizing anything in the SD slot which could be a computer problem, I've determined the missing pics are still intact as the are viewable on the cameras.

Unless I can find a way to read the card directly with my computer, I see only a few available options:

Try transferring them to my phone via wifi only getting maybe 1-2MP of the 18MP per image, which sucks, but is better than nothing.

You guys helping me find a way to use my camera to read the files, and hack into it to copy them off.

It's unclear. Are you inserting the sd card into the pc sd slot? Or are you attempting to transfer photos from the sd card by hooking up the camera to the pc?
Does the sd card fit the sd slot of your phone if there is one?

It seems there is no problem with the SD card if you can view the photos on your camera. Can't you upload photos directly from your camera to your laptop? I have a Cannon app to do just that.

Last edited:
The computer wouldn't recognize the SD card, but would read others. The card has frozen 2 cameras. There are computer errors when trying to copy the pictures taken just after the time the card got filled. I was able to use wifi to transfer 1.5MP copies to my phone before trying the card in my phone. The phone read it ok, and transferred to the computer via cable without issues. :yh:

Problem solved, but no telling yet if the card has permanent damage. That would suck loosing an 8GB card. Those were like $120 back in the day. I might have to settle for a $10 16GB card

That would suck loosing an 8GB card. Those were like $120 back in the day. I might have to settle for a $10 16GB card

Well, think of it this way, spending an extra $10 today, gives you another $120 extra memory back in the day.... :whistle:

Seriously Nutball, memory is so cheap these days it's not worth loosing precious data by trying to save an out-dated card.

RB

I have a couple of 64 GB SD cards for my camera. I have yet to fill one of them up. Both are class 10 and 300 MB/s transfer speed, IIRC.

Last edited:
On 8Gb I can get 2 batteries worth of pictures without filling it, I forgot to delete pictures, so halfway through a charge it got full.

I think they're at 512Gb SD cards now, and 400GB micro SD, and 300MB/s saving speed! Just rediculous. I could swap my computer's HD out for a couple micro SD's. If they get micro computers up to the specs of big towers, we'll have powerful destop computers the size of a smart phone.

Last edited:
My two 64 GB cards are micro SD cards. I have many micro SDIC cards. I've got them in my tablet, Garmin and other devices that will accept them. I don't use them on my computers though.