Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me identify this diode!

So it's been about 11 years since I've joined and posted. I dusted of my box of bits that started as a lasing project to try and finish, or toss lol
I found this diode in the box with no recollection of where I got it nor it's specs, and the lettering is super tiny, can't fully make it out but hoping someone here might recognize it.
Looking for specs so I can try and test it...
Thanks!

Edit: Here's a backside shot too, maybe someone can give recommendations on how to test w/o knowing specs. also, I've tried searching what the I'm perceiving to be written on the case but not turning anything up. While no idea where I got it, I am fairly certain it was from a vendor I found on here. All three pins are the same length, with the two lower ones looking like they have a small isolator around them going through the case.

Also, just so you know, images are thumbnails, clicking will enlarge and you can see it ;)

Attachments

• Diode2.jpg
    Diode2.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Diode3.jpg
    Diode3.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

gazer101

Most likely a DVD burner laser diode. Start at 2.5V and really low current (~1 mA) to identify the laser color/frequency and polarity (if there is no light at all the polarity is wrong or diode is fried), and adjust voltage accordingly (2.5V usually for red/infrared, 4-6V usually for blue or green).

Invest in a laser power meter and slowly ramp up the current until output power peaks and then go back by 10% or so to establish some safety margins. The resulting voltage and current should be safe to drive the laser

Most likely a DVD burner laser diode. Start at 2.5V and really low current (~1 mA) to identify the laser color/frequency and polarity (if there is no light at all the polarity is wrong or diode is fried), and adjust voltage accordingly (2.5V usually for red/infrared, 4-6V usually for blue or green).

Invest in a laser power meter and slowly ramp up the current until output power peaks and then go back by 10% or so to establish some safety margins. The resulting voltage and current should be safe to drive the laser
Thanks for replying! I was thinking, being a diode it should only pass current one way so a continuity test should determine anode & cathode. Yes?
Any leads on a decent yet moderately (read, cheap) power meter? Aside from testing this diode I'm also trying to finish a laser project which I'm realizing I'll need to get some equipment to accomplish for driver tuning. I'm about to order a 30v/10a benchtop power supply and looking around at test loads, either DIY or this prebuilt one.
Currently unemployed so trying to skate minimally as possible...
Thanks!

gazer101

Thanks for replying! I was thinking, being a diode it should only pass current one way so a continuity test should determine anode & cathode. Yes?
Any leads on a decent yet moderately (read, cheap) power meter? Aside from testing this diode I'm also trying to finish a laser project which I'm realizing I'll need to get some equipment to accomplish for driver tuning. I'm about to order a 30v/10a benchtop power supply and looking around at test loads, either DIY or this prebuilt one.
Currently unemployed so trying to skate minimally as possible...
Thanks!
I would recommend saving up some money and getting this guy: https://www.laserbeelpm.com/laserbee-ax.html

Lasers are an EXPENSIVE hobby, so please quit while you are ahead if you cannot afford to set aside $200/month. I myself have put this hobby on hold in light of the recent recession forming where I live