Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me decide? (first greenie)

Thanks for the input, but the ebay laser unsettles me because it reminds me of the Dino Direct laser that i first owned. Ive read that they are never sold as what they are advertised, almost never include an IR filter, and like you said, are a hit or a miss.

Its kind of hard to find a lot of info on Optotronics but from what i have read about them they seem like one of my better options at the moment.

Then there is this guy~~LP 515nm 532nm 1-150
they have an 80mw option that peaked my interest. Any experience with the laserbtb pen style pointers? The <2.0 divergence concerns me because beam visibility is one of my top deciding factors

Thanks!
-Joe

I can provide some of my experiences. I bought one of their 5mW 650nm in that exact host & was pretty impressed. The host felt nice, the blue light up LED next to the button was a nice touch also! What I really liked(at least in my opinion) was the safety switch at the back of the device, even if it was only 5mW it's good to know it won't be mishandled.

For $40 a 80mW 532nm in that host is a steal, and will probably last you for a looooong time :p

-Alex

Last edited:

Thanks Greenlander! Its definitely going to be between the Laserbtb 80mw pen and still that Optoptronics 100mw with the special effects caps..
Pros of the Opto Pen
-Lenses
-undisputed quality (from my research)
-divergence, diameter, ect.
-fast shipping (hear the standard in the US is 4-5 days)
-hear tales of excellent costumer service
Cons
-no safety lock (more for friends than myself)
-the price.

I feel like im pretty set on the 100mw opto w/ effects mainly for the effects cap set. because you dont see that many high powered green lasers with those kind of accessories unless you shell out another fortune.

I was also contemplating this plan. Mainly because of the lack of funds at the moment, if i had the money i would buy the opto pen tonight.. But i think i might just go for the 50mw laserbtb pen with an installed IR filter $45 shipped in 10-15 days, until i can comfortably drop $150 on the Optotronics 100mw with effects caps because as of now, i havent found anything else that has stuck out to me as much as the Opto.

Or should i scrap that whole plan and just wait until next friday to buy the Optotronics pen? There will be pictures a plenty posted on here because i have not found an extensive review of that optotronics pen other than their website.
I know.. im kind of a pain.. haha but thanks for your time!
-Joe

I was also contemplating this plan. Mainly because of the lack of funds at the moment, if i had the money i would buy the opto pen tonight.. But i think i might just go for the 50mw laserbtb pen with an installed IR filter $45 shipped in 10-15 days, until i can comfortably drop $150 on the Optotronics 100mw with effects caps because as of now, i havent found anything else that has stuck out to me as much as the Opto.

Or should i scrap that whole plan and just wait until next friday to buy the Optotronics pen? There will be pictures a plenty posted on here because i have not found an extensive review of that optotronics pen other than their website.
I know.. im kind of a pain.. haha but thanks for your time!
-Joe

No worries, you just are looking for help :p

It honestly depends on you & how badly you want that 100mW pen. Both are quality pens, but the 100mW pen will essentially be brighter & have more powerful. That being said it will also be more dangerous!

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks again Alex, you've been most helpful on this thread haha, I am almost convinced of the Opto 100 but now i guess my only draw back is if it will be too bright to use indoors. I am well aware of the dangers that come with a laser of that power. My friends aren't. Thats where laserbtb comes back and starts nudging me on the shoulder.. Ive owned a 100mw 650nm from O-like a while back, which was sadly unsatisfying because you could hardly see the beam, and when ever i would burn something with it (mainly all it was used for) it was hard to concentrate the focal point in any one spot because it hurt to look at.

OK not to derail BUT

@MrM

your very first thread here was one asking for free help w/o making your 'intro' thread in our 'WELCOME' section-- AND its very important that you add your location in your PERSONAL PROFILE.

I suspect that many who come to LPF with desires for <5 mW laser are due the need to assure parents they are being safe..

As far as GREEDBAY and POOP Pal are concerned- BOTH have banned sales or payment for lasers OVER 5 mW.

IF you don't believe me just report any listing for one OVER 5 mW to Greedbay and you will see it removed fairly quick.

Listings have been pulled many times (also by Scamazon) from both DTR and AixiZ Laser-- even items like drivers and lenses got yanked-
..We are thinking that these 'complaints' were often made by or in behalf of competitors..once relisted that were OK for a time..

Such 'dirty tricks' and nothing new--
I have a friend who was at one time a very trusted seller who ALSO offered lots for free help and advice- (something that is quite rare)-Other sellers had 'shills' make buys then leave TERRIBLE feedback--he tried to work around all this but in the end he just gave up the biz-- A BIG SHAME imo.
@OP
My advice- buy a JAD or JADD kit and build your own laser..

hak

Filled out the profile a bit more, created a welcome thread, am i missing anything?
I wasnt planning on buying anything off of ebay. I want to know what i am buying and from who.
Can you give me any more info on the JAD or JADD kit you mentioned?

That was another concern, im hoping the 100mw won't be too bright to the point where it's painful to use indoors. That's why i was contemplating the 55mw safer option.
-Joe

JOE the above post should have been added to your other post made earlier in the same day--that is called intentional double posting and considered by most here to be poor manners--You cad edit-copy,delete and paste the two together into just ONE POST please.

Kids love those 'star caps' but the rest of us dont find them all that fun.

I would go for a free shipping Greedbay deal where you get three colors for around $9(total)-- all (that work) will be WAY overspec (Ebay nor Poop pal allow sales or payment for ANY handhelds over 5 mW SO now they list ALL as 5 mW.
get it?
the violet would have the best chances to be a burner but you might need another lens in front to concentrate the beam like we do with the sun.

None will last long w/o a reasonable duty/rest cycle-- especially the green and violet.

at just $3 each its no big loss if one dies AND occasionally one might arrive doa.
My seller sent a second one -no Qs asked--BUT it too arrived DOA.
They offered to send a 3rd one but wanted $4.50 to ship---duh!?

Personally I dont care much for the use of the nic 'greenie' it makes them sound like toys AND a REAL 'greenie' is a dog biscuit that also cleans the dogs teeth and helps with doggy breath-

The proper terms are pen pointer--and handheld- the pens (almost) use 2xAAA and any others are handhelds NOT pen pointers. The ones with button cells we call 'cat toy lasers'. They are always reds and no R/D cycle is really needed. The problem with allowing kids to play with these is very evident when they get a hold of one with dangerous power.

'pens' NEVER have much heat sinking and bigger ones almost always have better HSs.

Best place to buy a good laser is HERE AT LPF from a VET w/good rep.
hope this has been helpful.

hak

JOE the above post should have been added to your other post made earlier in the same day--that is called intentional double posting and considered by most here to be poor manners--You cad edit-copy,delete and paste the two together into just ONE POST please.

Kids love those 'star caps' but the rest of us dont find them all that fun.

I would go for a free shipping Greedbay deal where you get three colors for around $9(total)-- all (that work) will be WAY overspec (Ebay nor Poop pal allow sales or payment for ANY handhelds over 5 mW SO now they list ALL as 5 mW.
get it?
the violet would have the best chances to be a burner but you might need another lens in front to concentrate the beam like we do with the sun.

None will last long w/o a reasonable duty/rest cycle-- especially the green and violet.

at just $3 each its no big loss if one dies AND occasionally one might arrive doa.
My seller sent a second one -no Qs asked--BUT it too arrived DOA.
They offered to send a 3rd one but wanted $4.50 to ship---duh!?

Personally I dont care much for the use of the nic 'greenie' it makes them sound like toys AND a REAL 'greenie' is a dog biscuit that also cleans the dogs teeth and helps with doggy breath-

The proper terms are pen pointer--and handheld- the pens (almost) use 2xAAA and any others are handhelds NOT pen pointers. The ones with button cells we call 'cat toy lasers'. They are always reds and no R/D cycle is really needed. The problem with allowing kids to play with these is very evident when they get a hold of one with dangerous power.

'pens' NEVER have much heat sinking and bigger ones almost always have better HSs.

Best place to buy a good laser is HERE AT LPF from a VET w/good rep.
hope this has been helpful.

hak

I am well aware that the laser is not a toy. I have a friend who's a lighting and sound engineer in training, he has a laser light show system, albeit a smaller one, with 405nm and 650nm lasers. We always mess around with different effects we can get through fog, lenses, even vases hah. That's why I find the effects fascinating. More so how the beam will split and show up with his fog machine.

Sorry for double posting, had more of an after thought than anything. Again I'm avoiding eBay, not because I don't think I could get a decent laser, but because I want to pay for what I'm buying. I don't want to purchase a 5mw and hope that its going to be near the power that I want. Quality over quantity in my book. That's why I was looking at Dragon Lasers, Laserbtb, Optotronics, ect.

I was also trying to find a thread in the B/S/T section that peaked my interest, no such luck. Maybe I wasn't searching enough. Just eager to get my laser.

And I want to thank everyone for their input and thoughts, but after hearing from Jack at Opto he pretty much confirmed my interest in the 100mw w/ effects caps. Needless to say I put my order through yesterday and it said that it is already in transit to the destination!

PS. I have a little video somewhere on my phone off his laser system and electronic cigarette vapor in his basement, nothing super fancy, just looks cool haha, I'll see if I can post it

Filled out the profile a bit more, created a welcome thread, am i missing anything?
I wasnt planning on buying anything off of ebay. I want to know what i am buying and from who.
Can you give me any more info on the JAD or JADD kit you mentioned?

Since making and selling completed lasers >5 mW is not legal- some now just sell most of the laser and you finish the build- one you add diode-the other both diode and driver -in the better the drivers are set for you- wires soldered no longer any LSD concerns (as long as your soldering station is grounded)

for some you choose the output by selecting the current you want.

set high for more power but perhaps less lifetime and a need for safer duty/rest cycling. or more cooling.

The most trusted is 'DTR'. buy from here NOT from internet(amazon/greedbay)
hak