Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help if possible on laser project

Hey guys, im currently doing a project in laser optics and the first part requires me to construct a device which produces a combined output of 2 laser diodes (attached below).

The main part i need help on is the electronics part of the project (which is still in the design stage). The device will have a plug for general house outlets for a power supply, use 2x2.4A SXD laser drivers for regulators, use a red laser diode (~500mw) and green laser diode (1W) and im thinking of implementing a heat sink which will also be air cooled by small fans for the heat management of both lasers. Next is combining the lasers which im pretty confident with.

I am unsure and feel like there are more components needed for the device to function properly and safely, such as regulators for the fans and something in between the power supply plug and the drivers.

Any help is greatly appreciated and no need to worry about safety i will have all the safety equipment around me with all the bells and whistles.

Attachments

• NDG7475.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 198
  • LPC836 Diode Data(1).doc
    38 KB · Views: 52

Encap

Hey guys, im currently doing a project in laser optics and the first part requires me to construct a device which produces a combined output of 2 laser diodes (attached below).

The main part i need help on is the electronics part of the project (which is still in the design stage). The device will have a plug for general house outlets for a power supply, use 2x2.4A SXD laser drivers for regulators, use a red laser diode (~500mw) and green laser diode (1W) and im thinking of implementing a heat sink which will also be air cooled by small fans for the heat management of both lasers. Next is combining the lasers which im pretty confident with.

I am unsure and feel like there are more components needed for the device to function properly and safely, such as regulators for the fans and something in between the power supply plug and the drivers.

Any help is greatly appreciated and no need to worry about safety i will have all the safety equipment around me with all the bells and whistles.

Good idea --just plug SDX drivers into the wall socket/outlet--should work great, fine . :crackup:

See thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/reference-guide-how-combine-lasers-77449.html

PS make a welcome post thread in the Welcome subforum about yourself and interests if you expect any real help from anyone here

Last edited:

diachi

What is the project you're working on? Some more details may help us give you ideas. :beer:

diachi

Yea find a cell phone charger or other transformer with a voltage you need...

Cell phone charger is 5V, usually 2A or less. Won't power both diodes. Might power a single diode at reduced current with a switching buck driver, but the voltage drop of the LD will be an issue, awful close to supply voltage. Spec sheet says 4.6VDC at 1.5A typical.

One of those little 12V or 9V OEM power supplies would do the job well. 5A should be plenty.

Failing that, get an old ATX power supply from a computer and short the green wire to the gray wire on the 24 pin connector, most will turn on. 3.3V rail will power a boost driver. 5V rail will be no good due to the LD voltage drop at rated current (4.6V), unless you stick them in series with a boost driver. 12V rail will work with a buck driver, ideally switching, otherwise it'll get hot.

Most (if not all) ATX supplies will have no problem supplying that much power.

Edit: Missed that they weren't the same diodes. A cellphone charger would likely power the red.

Last edited:
So, you are combining a 1 watt 520nm green multimode diode with a 650nm single mode diode at maybe 380 mW. Why? The beams won't match up and the green will wash out all the red. What are you trying to show? I just don't get it.

Encap

So, you are combining a 1 watt 520nm green multimode diode with a 650nm single mode diode at maybe 380 mW. Why? The beams won't match up and the green will wash out all the red. What are you trying to show? I just don't get it.

Agree--I don"t get it either. Maybe he has a special reaosn/need for some reaosn.

If he is just looking to combine red and green to get yellow he is probably much better off buying one of these from O-LIke for $89 --at least it works reasonably well for the price-- better than what he is planning to make.
See: Mini 200mW Yellow laser module/red&green laser combined [OL-YLM] - $89.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Last edited:
I will be sending the output of the combined laser diodes through some fiber optic and observe the output wavelengths, but i have a good understanding on that part of the project.

The main issue is designing the electronics aspect of the device which will safely power, cool and combine the diode lasers. Such as using a transformer as mentioned above, thank you very much i will start looking into that right away.

Also the parts i am to use should be cheap and easily accessible (commercial off the shelf stuff) which seems to be what you guys are already telling me to use so thats a huge plus cheers :D

Last edited:

diachi

I will be sending the output of the combined laser diodes through some fiber optic and observe the output wavelengths

but-why.gif

Last edited:
Its a project for college that branches into spectroscopy where the output wavelengths is what i am to observe

If that is the case, the 520nm multimode diode is a poor choice as it is unnecessarily powerful and, being a multimode, will give you a wider peak on your spectrometer. You'd do much better with two single mode low power diodes.

Encap

Its a project for college that branches into spectroscopy where the output wavelengths is what i am to observe

So why not go with a low cost and effective solution for your use/purpose?
Just get one of the low cost little O-like red/green combiners.
Is kind of a fools errand to waste of time and money to make one, unless you either just want to or are required to do for reasons unknown.

You are not going to bulid anythng for less overall cost that works any better --see: Mini 200mW Yellow laser module/red&green laser combined [OL-YLM] - $89.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Last edited:
I was looking into those combiners but the tedious process of implementing and setting the correct angles on the different mirrors is part of my task (i think to just observe how adaptable i can be), also thanks for the idea on the single mode diodes ill look into that :D

Encap

I was looking into those combiners but the tedious process of implementing and setting the correct angles on the different mirrors is part of my task (i think to just observe how adaptable i can be), also thanks for the idea on the single mode diodes ill look into that :D

Maybe you can adapt one of these --you get and red and a green laser and the driver to power them both --all you then need to do is mount them and add the method of combining i.e.either 1 or 2 dichoric filters.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-12V-laser-light-70-red-and-green-laser-module-combination-G30-R80/32623367198.html
This way would be low cost/under $50 total and so simple even a chimpanzee could easily accomplish getting it done and woking without much trouble.

Here is an image using 2 but only the one that is combining them is actually needed if the lasers are at a right angles.

CG7TS.jpg

Last edited: