Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identify this laser please, looks like vintage Surefire

Identified! It's a model 36 Laser Sight, Surefire responded to a ticket I had sent sometime ago with this picture of the original description. Looks like a classic, not sure what to do with it, I certainly don't have a use for it.

2mp0nrp.png

That's awful, however the MP5 has been in service since 1966 and the 1st diode laser was demonstrated in 1962 but operating at room temp was just 1 issue, it wasn't until 1970 that the first laser diode to achieve continuous wave operation was demonstrated, it was a double heterostructure laser diode.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
In 1957, Japanese engineer Jun-ichi Nishizawa filed a patent for the first semiconductor laser. It was an advancement of his earlier inventions, the PIN diode in 1950 and the solid-state maser in 1955.

Coherent light emission from a gallium arsenide (GaAs) semiconductor diode (a laser diode) was demonstrated in 1962 by two US groups led by Robert N. Hall at the General Electric research center and by Marshall Nathan at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. There has been ongoing debate as to whether IBM or GE invented the first laser diode. The first laser diode to achieve continuous wave operation was a double heterostructure demonstrated in 1970.

---EDIT---

I am looking for info about the 1st ever semiconductor/direct commercial laser pointer sold to the public, anyone know what/when that was ?

Last edited:
"Use for it...." ? it's a cool ass laser! if you don't want it, i know a few collectors that'd be happy to have a lil gem like that in their collection! ;)

I though it would discharge two alkaline 9 volt batteries in no time at all. Thirty minutes is a little longer than I expected, though.

yeah that is a bit longer than i'd guess. I'd have estimated about 20 mins given their typical capacity. 30 mins isn't a long time though nonetheless. but surprisingly good.

How long do you need to aim before firing your weapon? How many rounds is 30 minutes of aiming?

wow. No offense cyp, but that's a rude comment. I get that it doesn't need to last long for its intended purpose. Just on for a short bit here and there. The comment wasn't made with its' use as a sight in mind. These would've been a very expensive luxury to have back in the day anyway.

I meant that ultimately compared to what we can do now, it really isn't a long battery life. Though to its' credit it does say it can use several different battery types which is a boon in the field to have several common options to work with. I wonder how they'd all compare.

wow. No offense cyp, but that's a rude comment.

I can't win, can I? Asking a question is rude now? How about you not assume the worst of me instead... maybe find something more reasonable to be offended by?

Sorry (not sorry) I'm not a firearm expert.

Meh. I was surprised by the length of time two 9 volt alkaline batteries could drive this laser. I thought that 30 minutes was a long time considering the capacity of the batteries. I never looked at this as a gun sight from the beginning. It was a 2 mW He-Ne laser and power supply, period.

The MP5 they have the laser mounted on in the advertisement is a full auto 9mm with a 32 round magazine, it will fire in semi ( one shot per trigger pull ) or empty the magazine with one trigger pull, or you can pull and release the trigger to fire multi round bursts based on the duration of your trigger pull, but they do run through 32 rounds fast. Thumb selector positions are Safe, Semi, Full.

I rented a MP5 at Bullseye indoor range in Lawrenceville Ga and I spent more time loading than shooting, but it was fun and about the time you were really chewing the middle of the target it was empty, so a laser sight would be a great thing to have on this weapon, especially for a less experienced shooter, plus you would get some additional feedback about your aim.

I have used laser aiming devices and they show off any unsteadiness in your aim and where you point during recoil, but for draw and fire I would not use a laser on a pistol, I prefer to be proficient, but for staying on target during burst firing it would be a great training aid if nothing else.

At the range a 30 min runtime could be rationed to give good serviceability, in the field the HENE unit looks awful bulky, maybe they were thinking of it as a training aid ?

MP5 selector positions. Yes this is an image of an airsoft replica, but the real item works the same, genuine item in 2nd pic.

th

pix040367427.jpg

Last edited:
Meh. I was surprised by the length of time two 9 volt alkaline batteries could drive this laser. I thought that 30 minutes was a long time considering the capacity of the batteries. I never looked at this as a gun sight from the beginning. It was a 2 mW He-Ne laser and power supply, period.

pretty much same here. but taking into account its intended use as a rifle sight, half an hour on a he-ne isn't terrible. but obviously nowadays you can run a cheap red laser diode for times approaching all day now. how far we've come!

The MP5 they have the laser mounted on in the advertisement is a full auto 9mm with a 32 round magazine, it will fire in semi ( one shot per trigger pull ) or empty the magazine with one trigger pull, or you can pull and release the trigger to fire multi round bursts based on the duration of your trigger pull, but they do run through 32 rounds fast. Thumb selector positions are Safe, Semi, Full.

I rented a MP5 at Bullseye indoor range in Lawrenceville Ga and I spent more time loading than shooting, but it was fun and about the time you were really chewing the middle of the target it was empty, so a laser sight would be a great thing to have on this weapon, especially for a less experienced shooter, plus you would get some additional feedback about your aim.

I have used laser aiming devices and they show off any unsteadiness in your aim and where you point during recoil, but for draw and fire I would not use a laser on a pistol, I prefer to be proficient, but for staying on target during burst firing it would be a great training aid if nothing else.

At the range a 30 min runtime could be rationed to give good serviceability, in the field the HENE unit looks awful bulky, maybe they were thinking of it as a training aid ?

MP5 selector positions. Yes this is an image of an airsoft replica, but the real item works the same, genuine item in 2nd pic.

I was having similar thoughts. especially as out in the sunlight a small red dot is fairly hard to see at a distance. but then again most laser sights are intended for up close use in many scenarios unless combined with a scope and fine tuning on its' travel path.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought a guide rod laser for my Glock years back when they cost as much as the gun, now they are a couple hundred, but rail mounted lasers are much less.

Now they make the replacement guide rod lasers for many pistols, I don't believe in them as I can shoot from the hip or weaver stance without even looking at the sights at self defense distance, I trust my sights otherwise as they are time tested, but for training or peace of mind if you ever had to hit a hostage taker who's holding a hostage, such as if you are a police officer, then they could be useful, also getting beamed is a wake up I would bet, also why people must not lase others, they may feel targeted as well as all the other reasons to never do such a dumb thing. :beer:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/lasers/handgun-guide-rod-lasers.do

Last edited:
Yes, I bought a guide rod laser for my Glock years back when they cost as much as the gun, now they are a couple hundred, but rail mounted lasers are much less.

Now they make the replacement guide rod lasers for many pistols, I don't believe in them as I can shoot from the hip or weaver stance without even looking at the sights at self defense distance, I trust my sights otherwise as they are time tested, but for training or peace of mind if you ever had to hit a hostage taker who's holding a hostage, such as if you are a police officer, then they could be useful, also getting beamed is a wake up I would bet, also why people must not lase others, they may feel targeted as well as all the other reasons to never do such a dumb thing. :beer:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/lasers/handgun-guide-rod-lasers.do

Yes, thats actually why it is illegal to point them at other people, especially a peace officer, as they may assume they are going to be shot at. (Dangers to eyesight aside)

Last edited: