Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help identify a laser light please.

Can anyone tell me anything you might know or guess about what this laser does, ie how new or old it is, how much power is required (can I operate it on a car lighter power inverter?), how far the light goes, what it came from originally, what is was used for, what it can be used for now, what it's worth...

Pictures here, type in:  photos.yahoo.com/skyvandelta  and then click on "laser beam" on the menu on the left side of the page.

A person on another forum wrote this:

"It's a 1 to 3 milliwatt helium-neon laser. Looks like someone took parts and rebuilt a power supply and laser tube into those enclosures. Think of it as being similar to a red laser pointer in optical power."

Does this sound correct?

You can respond to this post or email me directly.

Thankyou

Skyvandelta@yahoo.com

Sorry -- I looked and can't help. I don't know much about the plug/bench top in models.

S

SenKat

That is exactly what it is - the tell tale part is the power plug - the white unit with one tube larger than the other....the shape, etc. They are great little lasers - I have a few of them now....very old school, but very bright for their power ratings, and great for laser shows - minimal overheating issues ! Nice find ! What did it set you back ? They are sold on Ebay for anywhere of $20.00 on up - most units you see with a power supply are in the $40.00 range. It could be up to 20 years old - without hte date sticker on there, it's hard to tell ! Are you getting rid of it ??

T

timelord

Welcome to the forum bravestdog i'm glad you made it in the end and got your account here sorted out. ;) As for links you need to make 20 posts before you can post them, this is to combat the spammers that trawl forums with all their perverted delights ;D

I tested the laser a few nights ago and here are the results.

1. I didn't get electocuted and the machine seems to work perfect. That's always a good sign. ;)

2. The beam is red, about 1/8 of an inch in diameter a few inches away from the end and spreads out to about 2 inches in diameter at 150' or so.

3. I shined it out into the distance and it seems to travel at least a few hundred feet. I have a difficult holding it still at distance. Need to mount it on a tripod.

4. I shined it on my hand and it did not produce any noticable heat.

5. Now I want bigger, better.... ::)

Can this light harm a persons eyes? How close would you have to be and how long would you have to keep it on for eye damage?

Is eye damage the most dangerous thing that this can do?

S

SenKat

Well, if it IS indeed a 1-3mw red....chances are your only danger would be litteraly staring into the end for a time. Red HeNe lasers do not produce any IR - thus there is no danger of that danger...so, other than staring into it, you should be okay !

Anyone who has seen a TRUE laser - like you have just experienced....they will always want more power eventually ! There are tons of places out there that sell higher powered lasers - most often, the only limit is your wallet ! You do need to be wary of higher powered lasers, and protecting your eyes, though...