Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help ! i Extracted two diodes from dvd burner , which should i use for a laser ?

Hi , as the title says , yesterday , i opened the old dvd burner , and i extracted two diodes , one has some lens on front , and the other has a square glass on front , i watched some video and i saw that the diodes they use has a three pins that are set as triangle that type of pin has the diode with square glass
,the other just have three pins in a row.
Please help me ?
Which should i use ?
2gv62yu.jpg

Youll need better pics if you want help. Generally the ones with the pins in a line are the IR diodes, which are rectangular in shape.

The other diode (with three pins in a triangle) are circular in shape and can be either an IR, red or dual wavelength diode. This is the diode you will need. Have a look at DTRs website and order a copper module for the size of diode you have. Laptop drives often, but not always, have 3.8 mm diodes and desktop burners are more than likely 5.6 mm ones. Measure the diode and order the correct copper module. Good luck! :beer: