Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help for building my first laser

TALHA

Hi
I was planning to build a high power laser and i found some interesting videos on youtube . A specific one caught my attention and decided to make this laser my first build
since I live far away from USA i wanted to make my order form one sight :D in this video the whole components are from SL and the diode is from DTR :yh: .But not that big deal for me .I found some diodes on SL but i wasn't sure if this is the same specific diode i need , and since this is the first build for me i don't have that kind of flexibility to make a different one fit the area :D . I have heard that u could replace the driver in the video with a 1.8 one and buy the diode with the G-2 lens . I was also worrying about the diverging rate of my laser and how to be able to reduce it :can: .
I am opened for new suggestions maybe a whole different laser with a different diode it doesn't matter for me but hopefully in the same price range :scared:

Last edited:

Hi There, This was the first video i saw which got me interested in lasers too! First of all you should get some laser goggles because these things are powerful. Here: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Slip Over Laser Safety Goggles

Also you can use the Diode from survival lasers or from DTR with a g-2 for cheaper but be aware the g2 lens will result in poorer beam specs. You are looking for The M140 Diode. The higher the current and output of the laser the shorter the time you will be able to safely run the laser without frying it. I think the 1.5 amp variant of the fixed current driver for a good cross between output and heat generation.

Furthermore a copper heat sink will be better for the time you can run the laser by drawing the heat away from the diode but aluminium will do the job.

i'm not a laser guru but know enough I think.
Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

TALHA

Ok , thank you
But i do really care about the beam specs ,so what are the other options available to avoid the poorer beam specs ? And would u please post me the links for the copper heat sinck , the diode and the lens from survival lasers wich fit inside the host from the video :D

Okay so If your looking for better beam specs you will need to choose a diode with better beam specs, an M140 diode which is one of the cheapest high power blue diode is a multi mode diode which generally have a wider more rectangular beam, when i'm back from holiday next week I can show you what I mean if you like. What are you looking to use this laser for? burning? long distance pointing? etc...

Are you looking for beam brightness or a tight round beam?

This diode looks better for beam specs but is not quite as high power but is roughly the same price: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/osram-pltb450-1-4w-450nm

Just a note using a g-2 lens will result in poorer beam specs over a three element or similar but will increase power output.

or if you continue as you originally planned here are the links for the parts for a complete working laser:

Host: DIY C6 Host Assembly

Diode: DIY 445nm M140 Diode in Module With Wire Leads (I recommend the copper version) or https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

Lens: 445nm AR Coated Standard Glass Lens Assembly (better beam specs but lower power) or G-2 Lens Assembly (poorer beam specs, but more power)

Heatsink: Extended and Tapered Copper Heat Sink or Extended Copper Heat Sink or Copper Heat Sink

Driver: Survival Laser Driver (1.5Amp or 1.8 Amp)

Goggles: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

Optional extras:

Dust cap: Silicone Lens Cap (recommended)

Extended length focusing ring and the spring: Extended Length Focusing Ring - Blue Anodized and External Lens Spring (comes free with the g2 lens should you by that and helps you to focus you lens without burning your fingers)

Obviously you will need batteries as well but I'm sure you can find some, you will need two rcr123a's and a charger.

If you think I helped leaving some rep on the left would be greatly appreciated :)

Good luck!

-Dan-

TALHA

Thank you that was helpful !!!
I am looking for a burning beam with an acceptable distance pointing ; I dont really care about the brightness of the beam :D I think i will start with the m140 since i got the building videos and then move on to more advanced diodes .
But just for the record who are the best diodes with nice beam specs and high burning capabilities ? And would be thankful if you can post me some DIY videos for lasers using them :thanks:

Last edited:
Well I have an m140 diode at 1.4Watts and it burns like a monster when focused and can go ~10km at night. 100mw is roughly enough to light a match and pop balloons, but over watt will do much more so if you do get this laser be extremely careful. There are other diodes which are single mode which have the best beam specs but are often found in lower powers around 100mw, as a said previously i'm not extremely experienced with lasers as i only have one but three more on the way :D:D

Here is just one link to a video of a more advanced laser build which will be more expensive as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAqlEoQKrU

Thanks,
Dan