Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help a student

FokoF

Hello everyone

I am a Product Design student and our current project is a new steam iron if you could please answer a few questions and give any input. I know most of us on here don't iron, but we all know someone who does.

1. Do you like the look of current irons?
2. Are current irons effective?
3. Problems with current irons?
4. Any features you would like to see on a new iron?

Thanks
and any ideas you guys have would be great!

Hello everyone

I am a Product Design student and our current project is a new steam iron if you could please answer a few questions and give any input. I know most of us on here don't iron, but we all know someone who does.

Thanks

steamers are the new irons. so much easier to use, no iron board needed.

FokoF

Yeah, but we have to come up with a new steam iron. Can't really deviate from it.

Jaseth

1: I don't really care what they look like - mine is only out for about half an hour twice each week.
2: They work well enough.
3: Sometimes they spray out boiling water on the shirt you are ironing.. and the functions and symbols are impossible to figure out. My iron has 5 different knobs to push or turn and I only know what 2 of them do.
4: A sexy woman using it.

Seb

You should install an alignment Laser (like every other product out there)
to make straight creases in pants.....:whistle:

Jerry

Jaseth

I have a few ideas to share:

1) Built in radio.. ironing is a bore and pain in the ass, but with some music it wouldn't be too bad.

2) Perfume function - you could make a separate chamber in the iron for specially made perfume which would not get ruined by being heated. Then people could choose a smell to match the deodorant they usually wear, and their clothes would smell that way too!

3) Quick cool-down system. Many people are really careful while ironing but then burn themselves a couple of minutes after finishing because they forget that the iron is still hot.

4) Auto switch-off function to prevent ruined clothes/fires. A really simple motion or grip sensor could detect if the iron hadn't been used for a minute (or maybe some other length of time), and switch it off.

Hope any of these can help you.. I might be adding some more later.

Seb

Hello everyone

Thanks

1. Don't care, but as usual if it's designed well I'd go with a better looking one, though there's not much to them.
2. Yes, they are. They do the job and are cheap. Though there's room for improvement.
3. Can't know when they're at optimal temperature, can't know when they're cold to touch.
4. Yes, something (anything) that lets us know if the iron is safe to touch (to store it) (could be a bar like the one on old duracell batteries, that turned yellow if the battery was charged). Also, a good insulator that withstands the maximum heat from the iron at least for 1 second so it doesn't get molten by accident. Iron with a metallic storage case (small), most of them come with a plastic case that gets burnt because users don't wanna wait to store them.

mfo

Hello everyone

1. Do you like the look of current irons?They look alright I guess. A more futuristic look with curves would make it look cooler I suppose.
2. Are current irons effective?Yes.
3. Problems with current irons?They use a lot of electricity, stay hot for too long.
4. Any features you would like to see on a new iron?Use less electricity, cool down faster after finished.

Thanks

My answers in red.

Perhaps use a multistage TEC design which could actively cool it's self when it wasn't used for a minute?

HIMNL9

Not using them personally, i don't care too much :D

So-so ..... a more better energy use and thermal regulation will be good, but it's hard do it and keep the product cheap, i think.

Calcareous deposits (must be very easy to refill and clean - also, strong magnets in the water tank can help ?)
Aluminium and iron parts corrosions (making all these parts in stainless steel and anticorodal, covered with teflon, can help)
Heating elements breaks easy, in some models (ceramic heaters can help, but they cost more - also, a self-safety power PTC element can help with overheating too)
Plates becomed ruined too easy (again, a stainless steel plate covered in teflon or special ceramic compound will hepl, still costs too much compared with a simple polished aluminium plate)
Plate shapes (sometimes you have to use it with clothes that have strange shapes and sewing lines - borders of the plate more protruding from the body, and thin, can be a plus factor)
Safety (nuff said :D)
Easyness to dismantle and repair (it's a personal feeling, having to repair them, sometimes :p)

Basically, i said them in question 3 ..... but, well, now that you ask, a young beautiful maid manga-style, cannot be a bad idea ..... ok, ok, i was joking, about that :p

Oh, also: It'd be nice if there was like a pencil (iron in this case) sharpener with sand paper inside instead of a razor to brush off dirty remains on the tip.