Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help a noob picking his laser:D

Hi there fellow laser enthusiasts!

I'm pretty new to lasers (didn't receive my laser yet because of DX) but yet I'd still like a burning laser. Just for the show-off.
I have to order it soon, due to a school trip where I'm most certainly going to need it. I have looked at various sites, but I can't really decide if it's gonna be red or green (maybe even 405/445nm)?
I've observed that a 200mW green laser is twice the price of a 200mW red, so I'm a bit confused. I know that there's difference in the eyes sensitivity to different wavelengts etc.
So far, I've considered these four + a DIY:

200mW green because I already have some glasses (they're dirt cheap), and it's the brightest to our eyes.

200mW red because it's pretty much a dilda, and it's said to be good.

200mW red (again) because styropyro recommended it.

200mW 405nm just because of the power and the fluoroscenting abilities

I've also thought about buying a 1W diode + driver from modwerx, and have my geeky physics teacher help me building it.

So, what do you guys think?
Personally, the only problems I see with the red lasers, are the visibility for starpointing, and the visibility of the beam. Oh yes, and the price of the goggles.

Leave your vote or maybe a suggestion in the reply section.

Thanks from Rallerboy:D

Last edited:

Things

I have to order it soon, due to a school trip where I'm most certainly going to need it.

This triggers a few alarms for me. First, schools generally frown upon laser pointers full stop. You may end up having it confiscated from you.

Second, using a high powered laser around lots of other people is a very unwise idea, unless you are planning on buying safety goggles for all of them.

Thanks for the concern, but I've already received a permission to use the laser for star pointing. As long as I only point it to the sky, no one will be able to get hit in the eyes, and it should be pretty safe.
Which one do you recommend?