Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help a new DIY-er build a 445? (long post)

Hey! So, I'm new here (obviously, since it's my first post), but I've been lurking for about a year. Finally joined, because I finally ran into something I need help with!

I've owned a few lasers, and started with a little 5mW greenie, and later jumped to a 30mW. I've toyed with a 200mW red before, and after discovering burning, I am in love. I've wanted to build my own laser for quite a while now, but I finally am getting started on it. I really want something with a bit more... oomph. That would be fun. Don't worry, I am safe, and will buy myself some glasses, too. (Good links are appreciated!).

I found some 1.5W 445 diodes, (Danglasers, and also on eBay, DTR is selling some) and the price seems resonable. On top of that, they come pressed in housings, which is a plus for somebody with little experience like me. I would need help with getting it into a working handheld, though!

I would probably buy a 1W driver, and I am completely comfortable soldering, but I am unsure what exactly to do. I've read threads here before, and they gave great info as to what I need to do, but it wasn't enough for me... :undecided:

Getting a nice host would be easiest, but any suggestions? Nothing too crazy expensive, please! What should I do for heat? Etc., etc... basically, I need some help, and a few helping hands throughout my first real build.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the essay, but hopefully you all can offer me some help!