Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help 1 Watt Blue laser worried (eye damage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Roughly 2 years ago I was in a classroom and the teacher decided to conduct an experiment with a "Arctic Laser" Blue 1 watt laser (at least one watt, not sure if it was higher). She set up the laser (pointing it at a white dry erase board) and wanted to burn a piece of string with the laser. The student operating the laser wore safety goggles, the rest of us were simply told not to look at the white board. I was very uncomfortable and wanted to leave but the teacher insisted. The teacher turned off the lights before the experiment was started so that "we could see the beam."

The laser was switched on and I was looking at the beam, I immediately flinched and moved me head towards the white board while simultaneously closing my eyes. My right eye saw a bright flash coming off the whiteboard. When I closed my eyes I could see a bright blob in my right eye. I was roughly 10 feet away from the whiteboard and maybe a bit less from the laser. Do note that I did not look directly at the beam of the laser itself.

The bright blob went away however two years later I notice I have a few floaters (which I think I had before the incident) and my eye sees slightly cooler (color temperature wise).

Even though this was a while ago I am still very worried as my eyes have been bothering me recently (visual snow and the color temperature shift). I am very frustrated that my teacher could have been so irresponsible.

Do you think I suffered damage from this incident or is it unlikely?

I think this was the laser used:
Spyder 3 Arctic Blue Handheld Laser

Thank you for your help!

Encap

Hello everyone,

Do you think I suffered damage from this incident or is it unlikely?

Thank you for your help!

In case you are not just trolling, I will answer--rational adult answer to an idiotic child's question.

Go see and eye MD/Opthalmologist and ask as any rational adult would.
Nobody here can answer anything about eye damage even if it happened yesterday much less 2 years later.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am by no means trolling, I noticed certain eye problems and I am trying to narrow down any potential causes, be it natural or incidents like this. I am generally a person who worries and tries to be careful whenever possible. I do not use lasers myself, I don't look directly into LEDs when working with clear one.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Encap has given you the best advice that anyone here at LPF can give you, go see an opthalmologist ASAP, as in 2+ years ago.
IMO, if you didn't notice these problems for over two years, it's very unlikely that they have anything to do with your laser incident.

Encap

Thanks for the reply. I am by no means trolling, I noticed certain eye problems and I am trying to narrow down any potential causes, be it natural or incidents like this. I am generally a person who worries and tries to be careful whenever possible. I do not use lasers myself, I don't look directly into LEDs when working with clear one.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Opinions and advice? Any would be worthless and meaningless--what are you talking about?
Nobody here even knows if you have eyes much less what condition they are in and/or for what possible reason.
Try and eye MD/Opthalmologist forum maybe they will tell you to go see one. :crackup:

What difference does is it going to make, what anyone on any forum or chat program says --it is what it is.
Only a qualified professional board certified MD can give you an educated valid opinion it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to learn more about laser terminology. For example does NOHD and SZED (Sensitive Zone Exposure Distance) refer to the laser beam being directly shone in the eye or does it also refer to reflections on diffuse surfaces.

Razako

Just gonna leave this
cool-story-bro-needs-more-aliens-shit-history-com-2334532.png

Status
Not open for further replies.