Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello World.

Hi there everyone,

Id like to thank all the people thaqt have been helping me out so far and encouraging me to join this forum.
I am an amateur hobbyist at best. A few months ago I wanted to learn more about circuit repair and construction so I started fixing and building little hacks here an there. Anything from a solar powered flashlight that could be recharged via micro usb and had a female usb jack to be tapped for power to a functioning dvd burner laser hack I made with an aixiz module and custom lm317 module. It did not do very well lighting light objects ablaze, after seeing this video

REAL Iron Man Laser Glove - YouTube

I have since then purchased an aixiz laser module again, the blue laser diode driver to match my 1w 445nm diode. The two worked but the output was comparable to my 200mw build or blu ray upgrades i see in the videos. My hope was that the upgrade to 1w would allow more diversity than burning pinpoint holes through black tape and plastic. I started doing my research on here and elsewhere to find an simple straight forward driver to assemble at home.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/imdguin/blu-ray_driver1_001.jpg

and

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1740/lm317bluray.jpg

The parts I have are : an 1w 445nm diode pressed into an aixiz module with leads attached, 2Xcr123a, 8 aa batteries with housings, 2Xlm317, assortment of resistors, my potentiometers are all way to large, it seems like its it either 25 ohm or 10,000, 2x 47uf capacitors, 1n4001 diode. It seems like those are the parts I need. Just a note I was refered to the plans above from soemoene that built a burning 1w laser so I went with it thought hte plans say they are designed for a blu ray diode. Anyway long story short, I a noob, i need help. Thanks world

Also is there a material like glass or a metal that can absorb the laser light and convert it to heat? Something re usable

LM317 setup with 1 ohm resistor on voltage ref should provide around 1.25 Amps for your 445nm diode, which will do well for short runs. Advisable to enclose it all in a host and heatsink the components properly.

I don't understand the second post question. Define the purpose of such a thing and then we'll tell you what you need. People always incorrectly assume what they need.

Last edited:
Does it matter if that 1 ohm resistor is only a 1/4w? Should I run a couple in parallel. Also with that set up, should I use the cr123 in parallel as well?

The second question is I am trying to make a combustion chamber of sorts and would like to fashion a disk or possibly box, to heat and ultimately cook whats on the plate that would be smaller than a dime

Get at least 1 W resistor. If you put resistors in parralel, you reduce their resistance, two 1ohm resistors in parralel make 0.5 ohm resistance.

And a laser will have very much trouble heating up a plate size of a dime. Sorry but it's not going to work.

What could a laser heat up? There has to be a photo sensitive material that converts the energy into head. what would the effect on a dark carbon steel be assuming I could make a tiny wafer of it

Pretty much nothing. Laser of about 1W can transfer enough of energy in the form of light, to burn some materials like wood or plastic, but will not heat up a plate of metal to a usable heat level (like you said, boiling plate).

For every watt of heat your laser gives off (assuming 100% conversion efficiency of your hot plate), you've got aprox. 5W of heat to manage within the laser itself due to efficiency of electrical power to light conversion.

So if you get your hotplate to be, you know, hot, your laser would melt and destroy itself long before then.