Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello LPF!, and some questions

Hello,
First of all, I like to give my respect to this forum. It is a nice knowledge base
for lasers.
I became interested in lasers by kipkay's movie (shame I did'nt know LPF at the time)
about burning lasers. I've bought a Aixiz laser 5mW module and 200mW LD.

5mW Laser module:
AixiZ

LD-660nm-200mW LD (i think it is from mitsubitsi):
AixiZ

I began to de-solder the drive PCB from the 5mW laser module. Then I connected the
200mW LD directly to the Power source. All went fine and the laser shines very bright.
But it was impossible to burn something. I tried a maximum time of 20sec shining.

Then I discovered LPF! And got a bit scared after reading about Kipkay's movie and
connect the LD directly to the power source. I just shine without generating to much
heat in de module.

Do I need a driver for this LD to get it burning? Is the driver needed for the lifetime
of LD or is it nessecery to make a burning laser or both?

How can I check the alignment of the LD in the module?

Wich driver should I use for this project? And maybe some alternative if the best driver
is to expensive.

And I need some goggles, because i can't look at the light cast even on a dark matte
surface. I've found one via LPF.
630-650nm Hobby and Education Protective Eyewear [NOR-HEA-00000H-700] - $47.93
Is this one sufficient for 200/350 mW? because the LD is 660nm and the goggles max is 650nm.

With kind regards,
Martin

PS. maybe the question itself needs to be moved to an other thread, please inform me if so.

Hello,
First of all, I like to give my respect to this forum. It is a nice knowledge base
for lasers.
I became interested in lasers by kipkay's movie (shame I did'nt know LPF at the time)
about burning lasers. I've bought a Aixiz laser 5mW module and 200mW LD.

5mW Laser module:
AixiZ

LD-660nm-200mW LD (i think it is from mitsubitsi):
AixiZ

I began to de-solder the drive PCB from the 5mW laser module. Then I connected the
200mW LD directly to the Power source. All went fine and the laser shines very bright.
But it was impossible to burn something. I tried a maximum time of 20sec shining.

Then I discovered LPF! And got a bit scared after reading about Kipkay's movie and
connect the LD directly to the power source. I just shine without generating to much
heat in de module.

Do I need a driver for this LD to get it burning? Is the driver needed for the lifetime
of LD or is it nessecery to make a burning laser or both?

How can I check the alignment of the LD in the module?

Wich driver should I use for this project? And maybe some alternative if the best driver
is to expensive.

And I need some goggles, because i can't look at the light cast even on a dark matte
surface. I've found one via LPF.
630-650nm Hobby and Education Protective Eyewear [NOR-HEA-00000H-700] - $47.93
Is this one sufficient for 200/350 mW? because the LD is 660nm and the goggles max is 650nm.

With kind regards,
Martin

PS. maybe the question itself needs to be moved to an other thread, please inform me if so.

welcome to the forum.to answer you questions,yes you need driver for this project look around in the tutorials/help/repairs section to find jayrob's tutorial on this maglite.there are many sites to order safety glasses.i reccomend dragon lasers.you will need to use flexdrive,the pricce is 23 dollars and 27 w/ preset current + 3 for shippingworldwide.
hope that helped.

EDIT:WOW you spent 40$ for this diode?you can get 16x(the diode that kipkay uses) wich can be go about ~200 for 5$ from darklasers.

Last edited:
Thanks! this already helped a lot!
Hmm :cryyy: 5$ sounds a lot better to me. 40$ sounded cheap comparing to buying the whole 200mW laser. Is their maybe some difference between those LD's? Like material, lifetime or something like that. I'm going tot crawl the darklasers site for everything that i should need... except the goggles ic, I purchase the goggles from dargon lasers.

BTW: I like your avatar :crackup:

cheers

Thanks! this already helped a lot!
Hmm :cryyy: 5$ sounds a lot better to me. 40$ sounded cheap comparing to buying the whole 200mW laser. Is their maybe some difference between those LD's? Like material, lifetime or something like that. I'm going tot crawl the darklasers site for everything that i should need... except the goggles ic, I purchase the goggles from dargon lasers.

BTW: I like your avatar :crackup:

cheers

for 200mW laser you can get for ~45 from o-like or from DX for 32 without batteries and charger.

You could get an LPC-815 sled cheap in one of the group buys or from a forum based supplier, the long open can diode in there will easily give you 250+mW used with a driver set to around 420mA. You can also make your own driver with an LM317 or similar. Search DDL or daedal driver on the forum.