Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello, looking for a good cheap flashlight.

What's going on everyone I'm looking for a good cheap flashlight putting out I guess atleast 1000lm or something. Iv seen some for like $20 around but don't know if they're too good to be true. Thanks!

Teej

What's going on everyone I'm looking for a good cheap flashlight putting out I guess atleast 1000lm or something. Iv seen some for like $20 around but don't know if they're too good to be true. Thanks!

I suppose a lot depends on what you mean by "good".

Lumens are ONE measure of a light's output, but, for the cheap ones, they almost always lie, dramatically, about the lumens...so you really don't get what they advertise, ever.

The size of the light is a factor as well. For example, its possible to have a pocket sized light that DOES put out a 1,000 lumens, for a few minutes, and then the battery is too weak to keep it up and the light gets dimmer.

If the cells can keep up with the demands, the light can get very hot, as a small light doesn't have much thermal mass, etc.

The LED used also makes a difference, as some can put a lot of light, and some less.

The distance the flashlight can light something up at is another factor, which lumen numbers don't tell you.

For example, an ordinary light bulb might put out 1,800 lumens...but in a floody pool of light...so you couldn't see something 50 meters away.

A teeny light putting out 300 lumens might be able to light things up 100 meters away if the beam is focused to throw well, etc.

The focus of the beam is rarely a spec given for cheap lights, unless grossly exaggerated.

The quality of the light, as in, if you drop it, will it still work? Into a puddle or lake too? From 3' or from 10'? Etc. How long can it run at its peak brightness w/o overheating and wrecking itself?

If a cell is damaged/shorted, will the light protect you?

Is the beam useful, or like the old maglights like a donut that's dark in the middle? Is it a green beam, or blue or purple, or white, or more yellow, etc?

Is it regulated, so that the brightness stays the same by draining the cells harder and harder, or unregulated, so its brightest when fully charged, and dims down from there? There are also regulated lights that are very bright for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and then are PROGRAMMED to drop to a dimmer output, maybe 40-75% of the initial brightness, to avoid overheating, etc.

So there are a lot of things that, to different people, have different prioritizations.

So, how far away did you want to be able to see what?

How durable is durable enough?

Water resistance an issue?

How large is too large/how small is too small?

Are rechargeable lithium ion cells OK, or Nimh, or alkaleaks, etc?

How long does it need to be able to light up what? (A light to walk the dog vs a light to pop on and see what knocked over the garbage cans at the end of the street, is different)

Any other factors?

:beer:

Last edited:
EDIT: Looks like TEEj bet me to it. :)

If you looking for 1000 lumens then you probably want a flashlight with a XM-L2.
$20 is about the right price range. The real question is what exactly do you want from the flashlight and how will you be using it? Do you want it focusable, more "throw" or flood, small or not?
Another question is do you have a soldering iron? Because if you do then you can assembly your own the way you like it.

I recently bought this https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host-with-switch-refl
and put a XM-L2 into it to use as an EDC (Every Day Carry). I like it vary much.

The advantages of mine are: uses 18650's, as small as possible with 18650's, bright, smooth host fits in my pocket well.

The disadvantageous of mine are: gets hot fast, not focusable. much larger than a AA or AAA size flashlight.

Last edited:
Hmm well that's a lot info to take in lol but I'm lookin for something small but not to small maybe something the size of an 502b.
And something focusable forsure.
As far as power doesn't have to be insane but bright enough to make the extremely dark light again.
I have a couple 18650 batteries laying around so something that uses those.
Doesn't have to be super durable just durable enough to where if I drop it it won't break.
Doesn't need to be waterproof, probably be using it for hunting and normal outdoor use.

Teej

Hmm well that's a lot info to take in lol but I'm lookin for something small but not to small maybe something the size of an 502b.
And something focusable forsure.
As far as power doesn't have to be insane but bright enough to make the extremely dark light again.
I have a couple 18650 batteries laying around so something that uses those.
Doesn't have to be super durable just durable enough to where if I drop it it won't break.
Doesn't need to be waterproof, probably be using it for hunting and normal outdoor use.

OK, but, how far away do you want to be able to see what at?

Telling us that established the minimum cd of the light...so we need it.

:D

How LONG do you need it to shine at that output?

Telling us that tells us your power reserve and regulation minimums, so we need to know that too.

Last edited:
OK, but, how far away do you want to be able to see what at?

Telling us that established the minimum cd of the light...so we need it.

How LONG do you need it to shine at that output?

Telling us that tells us your power reserve and regulation minimums, so we need to know that too.

Idk I'm new to high powered flashlights so I was thinking 40 yards but is that easy to achieve or difficult? And as far as how long I guess a few min?

Last edited:
Idk I'm new to high powered flashlights so I was thinking 40 yards but is that easy to achieve or difficult? And as far as how long I guess a few min?

A few minutes is no problem, 40 shouldnt be a problem however the beam will get wider the farther you get away.
Your prob looking for this 2000 Lumen Zoomable CREE XML T6 LED 18650 Flashlight Focus Torch Zoom Lamp Light | eBay

It has variable focus (flood and throw). You will get roughly 800lm if you have a good battery and DD it. I've brought like 5 of these and replace them every half a year. If your looking for something more compact and portable then get the ultrafire WF502b. I took apart a 501 and a 502 to make a flashlight with a clip and a better head.
If you want some real power then go for a XHP70, it wont be cheap though. My xhp build has both throw and flood, being waterproof is also a plus I guess.

Last edited:
A few minutes is no problem, 40 shouldnt be a problem however the beam will get wider the farther you get away.
Your prob looking for this 2000 Lumen Zoomable CREE XML T6 LED 18650 Flashlight Focus Torch Zoom Lamp Light | eBay

It has variable focus (flood and throw). You will get roughly 800lm if you have a good battery and DD it. I've brought like 5 of these and replace them every half a year. If your looking for something more compact and portable then get the ultrafire WF502b. I took apart a 501 and a 502 to make a flashlight with a clip and a better head.
If you want some real power then go for a XHP70, it wont be cheap though. My xhp build has both throw and flood, being waterproof is also a plus I guess.

Is the XHP-70 better than the SST-90?
I have been thinking about getting a XHP-70 but it looks like it has 4 segments and I like a good throw as well.
I know the reflector has a lot to do with it but do you by any chance have an SST-90 and if so is the XHP-70 better? Is the throw distance as good?

Is the XHP-70 better than the SST-90?
I have been thinking about getting a XHP-70 but it looks like it has 4 segments and I like a good throw as well.
I know the reflector has a lot to do with it but do you by any chance have an SST-90 and if so is the XHP-70 better? Is the throw distance as good?

Lol not many people use the sst90 anymore

its the xhp70 and mtg2 leds (both by cree)

MTG2 has a prettier beam (uniform emitting area) while the XHP is far brighter. The sst isnt as efficient so I would not really recommend it.

Because of the shape of my reflector, the beam has a slight plus shape in the hotspot. I get the best of both worlds with a deep reflector with a flat base. If you want only throw then my opinion is the XHP with a deep reflector. The xhp has a smaller die size whch should help with a tighter beam. There is some new version of the XHP35 with a very small die and that coupled with a lense would prob get some insane throw... almost like a laser with a beam expander.

APEX1

check out the skyray sr-5 budgetbeams has them as a working flashlight with a heatsink just incase you decide to turn it into a laser