Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello guys

Hello my name is Travis and I'm finally back after about 7 years.
A lot has changed lots of new diodes !
I'm excited be back I've built 4 lasers from hosts from jayrob and 1 host from cajunlaser think his name was clif and I think I bought some real nice wire from flaminpyro ,4=445' nm and 1 Blu-ray laser sorry I don't have pics.
I just ordered a new 405 nm diode from dtr to put in my old ss host from jayrob will put pics when I'm done.I also ordered the bad boy 7 w blue diode for a new build I have no host or driver yet maybe if you guy had some suggestions. Well thanks hope to hear from you.

Howdy, Cobra! I love how it says "New Member" when you joined in '11! Happy to have you back around.
As for hosts - badboybilly and lifetime17 have been solid turning out some hosts. Guess it depends on where you are from. Sorry, didn't check your profile to see if it was populated.
Good luck and do share pics!!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back, Cobra03! :)
It looks like you left LPF right before I started.

As you have mentioned, there are a lot of new diodes and wavelengths available now, have fun expanding your laser collection!

Welcome back, Cobra03! :)
It looks like you left LPF right before I started.

As you have mentioned, there are a lot of new diodes and wavelengths available now, have fun expanding your laser collection!
Thanks everyone!

Welcome back, Travis. It is always nice to see old members come back. You will want to drive that 7 watt 445nm diode with ~4.5 amps of current. You have several drivers to chose from. I use the Black Buck 6 to do this, but there are other drivers available that can also do it too. Make sure you heat sink your driver to a large part of your host and use a large heat sink for the diode. It puts out a lot of waste heat.

Welcome back, Travis. It is always nice to see old members come back. You will want to drive that 7 watt 445nm diode with ~4.5 amps of current. You have several drivers to chose from. I use the Black Buck 6 to do this, but there are other drivers available that can also do it too. Make sure you heat sink your driver to a large part of your host and use a large heat sink for the diode. It puts out a lot of waste heat.
Thnx for the info but.

If I knew what your reservations were, maybe I could help. I'm assuming you want to drive the 445nm as close to 7 watts as possible. If that is not your intent, let us know what you want to do and I'm sure someone here can help.

Thnx for the info but.
Bud
If I knew what your reservations were, maybe I could help. I'm assuming you want to drive the 445nm as close to 7 watts as possible. If that is not your intent, let us know what you want to do and I'm sure someone here can help.
Yup that's what I plan close as I can get .I really am looking for host I like the 2 c mag light jayrob has but don't think I want to spend all that cash maybe you have some suggestions for host and driver.

Howdy, Cobra! I love how it says "New Member" when you joined in '11! Happy to have you back around.
As for hosts - badboybilly and lifetime17 have been solid turning out some hosts. Guess it depends on where you are from. Sorry, didn't check your profile to see if it was populated.
Good luck and do share pics!!
Will do.

Thanks for the info, may I ask why you perfer the black buck 6?

It is a great driver with good results from many members here. I also have the Black Buck 8, which has a thermistor you can adhere to your LD and a place to connect a 10 K pot to adjust the power out from whatever maximum you set it for to very low or no output. It all depends on what extra options I might want in my build. But, you can also use an SXD set to 4.5 amps. It is also a buck driver and a bit cheaper than the more expensive BB8.

It is a great driver with good results from many members here. I also have the Black Buck 8, which has a thermistor you can adhere to your LD and a place to connect a 10 K pot to adjust the power out from whatever maximum you set it for to very low or no output. It all depends on what extra options I might want in my build. But, you can also use an SXD set to 4.5 amps. It is also a buck driver and a bit cheaper than the more expensive BB8.
That's cool you can wire a pot in and adjust from on the host ?

That's cool you can wire a pot in and adjust from on the host ?
Yep. That is exactly what it is made for. That is the BB 8. It also comes with a tiny thermistor that shuts the power to the diode off when it reaches a certain temperature. Can't remember what the temperature is off hand but it is likely ~150* C.