Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from the Netherlands

lam3

Hi, I only just registered for LPF today, not that I've been lurking around for much longer, a few days at most, hehe.
Anyways, I'm kind of new to lasers, or at least to high-powered lasers. I've owned low-powered keychain laserpointers since I was little, but these were all <1 mW. In retrospect, I guess that's a good thing. Not that I ever behaved radically irresponsible with them, but still. Accidents can happen et cetera.

Now however, I've ordered a 95 mW Viper from dragonlasers.com. I'm sure I will be told that I should've bought it somewhere else, like at novalasers, as I've already browsed the forum for past topics concerning dragonlasers. Perhaps I should have, perhaps it won't matter. Only time will tell. And by time I mean the time it takes for me to buy another high-powered laser, as that will be the only way of comparing output since I don't have a power meter. I couldn't find many problems with DL though, except for the whole pseudonomen137 affair. But I guess if it performs heavily under expectations, I'll just ship it back and eat the shipping costs. It's not that expensive from the Netherlands, just like 20 dollars.

Hmm, this 'welcome' post is getting out of hand ::).

All in all, I'm sure this forum will serve me well as a place to get information and advice about lasers, because what I've read so far can only be interpreted as well-informed, mostly mature people. Thanks for reading.

PS. I did buy protective goggles paired with the laser, as I'm not planning on ruining a future hobby with my first high-powered laser. I do have one concern though, and that is that I only ordered one pair of glasses. I'd like to buy some more for friends and family, but am unsure of where I should. Are the wickedlasers lasershades good? I know about wickedlasers' laser reputation, but I've also read good things about their goggles, and they're cheapest. Please don't just tell me not to be cheap on protection, I know it's important but I don't feel like spending 500 dollars + on glasses for friends that will rarely be around to see the laser, while I only have one mid-powered laser of 200 dollars.

PS2. What the hell, my post scriptum got out of hand as well, ah well :D.

EDIT: Also, my age is currently 16. But don't have any prejudice about that please.

EDIT2: That first character in my name is an 'L' by the way.

lam3

Hi FireMyLaser,

Thanks for that link and the welcome, I think I've glanced over it before but not carefully enough, hehe.

whoa you surely have read something about the forums :)

you're welcome & fun :D

lam3

nikokapo said:
whoa you surely have read something about the forums :)

you're welcome & fun :D
Haha, yeah, while I should've been doing something else, much more important (more important than lasers? How can it be!) today ::).

Also, I just clicked your signature and saw your spirograph based on computer fans. That's a good idea, I think I'll be making one of those set-ups myself.

What kind of power supply did you use, and how do you regulate the revs?

Thanks.