Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Poland.

Lucas585

Hello,

I'm a new member from Poland. I moved back here after 14 years of living in UK so hopefully my English will not be a problem as long as I don't post too late into the night ;-)

Electronics and making things have been my hobbies for as long as I remember. I became interested in lasers more recently by means of buying a cheap Chinese desktop cnc engraver (for milling pcb's) that had an option to include a laser engraving head for not much more money. While I was waiting for the thing to arrive I did more research on the subject. I got my two types of laser safety glasses (more about them below) and I ripped some red laser diodes from some old dvd burners and made them burn some cardboard for fun. Also destroyed one in the process unfortunately despite esd protection, current limiting etc...

Regarding safety glasses I decided OD4 is sufficient for my current use and I found two pairs one covering 190-550nm (red) and the other one 190-420 & 600-1100(green). They were fairly cheap, but they cover my eyes well and do block reflected laser light of lasers I used them with.

My desktop cnc came with what is labelled as a 3500mw 450nm laser head. I was pleased when upon opening it I found a 9mm diode inside, also its power consumption is around 16w at max power so I actually believe what it says on the box is true :) I have no comparison with others, but the cutting/engraving performance is pretty good with regards to resolution and speed. As mentioned before, I got the desktop cnc primarily for pcb milling and I was hoping to use the laser for cutting solder mask stencils from silicone paper. During testing I managed to cut perfect sharp rectangles half by one mm (in white paper so far). This is encouraging.

I also got a single mode 405nm 50mW (sharp) diode laser I plan to build a low power, but very well focused head for the cnc to test exposing uv photoresists/uv curable solder mask etc with my cnc in future. Hopefully soon.

I already found lots of good info on this forum so I decided to register.

See you around.

Lucas585

Thanks. Were they expected to be links? I can still find them via copy/pasting the title into Google so no problem if they weren't.

Also, I was wondering if I should post below question in the drivers forum or not and I decided to post it here first.

I would like to build a non-portable buck driver. My feature "wish list" is:
-12v supply
-5a capable
-max current limit pot, or pre-programmed
-pwm max current control up to the preset max setting.
-as fast on/off time as possible
-Atmel uC a bonus

The laser used with this driver will be used for selective curing of uv curable materials and for engraving.

I found a site of loneocean's Project 450 witch seems to tick all the boxes and the author says it is creative commons released. However, the complete schematic is not available on the site. I guess he changed his mind :-( I also looked in the Internet Archive and it seems there was never a schematic on this project's page. I wrote to the author, but if he never posted the files I'm not very hopeful for a reply.

So I looked at Ti's TPS565208 datasheet which appears suitable, but before I waste weeks reinventing the wheel by designing my own I thought to ask here if anyone can point me towards a tested working solution I could build (with the schematic available).

You can buy a buck driver that meets your specs on eBay from x-woose and at DTR's site. That is what I would do rather than trying to build a one off as it will save you a lot of time and money.

Platupus999

Hello,

I'm a new member from Poland. I moved back here after 14 years of living in UK so hopefully my English will not be a problem as long as I don't post too late into the night ;-)

Electronics and making things have been my hobbies for as long as I remember. I became interested in lasers more recently by means of buying a cheap Chinese desktop cnc engraver (for milling pcb's) that had an option to include a laser engraving head for not much more money. While I was waiting for the thing to arrive I did more research on the subject. I got my two types of laser safety glasses (more about them below) and I ripped some red laser diodes from some old dvd burners and made them burn some cardboard for fun. Also destroyed one in the process unfortunately despite esd protection, current limiting etc...

Regarding safety glasses I decided OD4 is sufficient for my current use and I found two pairs one covering 190-550nm (red) and the other one 190-420 & 600-1100(green). They were fairly cheap, but they cover my eyes well and do block reflected laser light of lasers I used them with.

My desktop cnc came with what is labelled as a 3500mw 450nm laser head. I was pleased when upon opening it I found a 9mm diode inside, also its power consumption is around 16w at max power so I actually believe what it says on the box is true :) I have no comparison with others, but the cutting/engraving performance is pretty good with regards to resolution and speed. As mentioned before, I got the desktop cnc primarily for pcb milling and I was hoping to use the laser for cutting solder mask stencils from silicone paper. During testing I managed to cut perfect sharp rectangles half by one mm (in white paper so far). This is encouraging.

I also got a single mode 405nm 50mW (sharp) diode laser I plan to build a low power, but very well focused head for the cnc to test exposing uv photoresists/uv curable solder mask etc with my cnc in future. Hopefully soon.

I already found lots of good info on this forum so I decided to register.

See you around.
Hello, i'm new as well and i can say there is lots of knowledge here!

Lucas585

Thanks.
Well, I hope you enjoy yourself. Building a one off buck driver can be much more complicated than you might think.
Specially if it includes having to design one from scratch... That's why I would rather build (and possibly extend) a proven design (like for example that one from Project 450).

Well, if there is no "open source" design available online that's fine too.

Thanks.

Specially if it includes having to design one from scratch... That's why I would rather build (and possibly extend) a proven design (like for example that one from Project 450).

Well, if there is no "open source" design available online that's fine too.

I am unaware of any Buck drivers that are available as a source to build yourself as most members who have done this work don't put them out for others to just build themselves. Wish I could be of more help to you.