Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Malaysia

Philipnzw

Hey folks my name is Philip and i'm from Malaysia. Back around 2010 or earlier, i discovered the world of lasers. I remember watching styropyro, lazeerer, tunedcavitylasers and always longed for owning/ DIY-ing some lasers. Years pass and i wouldn't do much about this low key passion of mine, at one time i messed with a 5mW Green pen style laser and around 2014 i got myself a generic 301 green laser locally. The generic 301 was fun and could burn a little, i'm guessing it was around 100mW.

The main problem i faced when trying to progress in this hobby is money and difficulty in finding resources. Buying from the US or any fancy websites is pretty much off limits for me (US dollar exchange rate is always around 4USD: 1MYR) .
Trying to find any CNC/ metal working shop locally is also really hard.

So yeah that's my backstory.

Few days ago, i got back into this hobby and i want to do it right this time. I created an account on this forum and proceeded to read up some stuff, and voila a few moments later i got to know Trinh Hong Phuoc from vietnam via Lifetime17 ,and i've ordered some parts from him.

My first build will be a 200-250mW red laser using one of Trinh Hong Phuoc's hosts.The diode/ module is a generic one from Shopee (online store). Currently i'm still waiting for the parts to come in the mail and i'll bring them home during the End of June to begin my build (no soldering iron with me at Uni).

This time i hope i can achieve more. Will definitely post some pictures when done. Cheers.

GSS

Welcome:)
I'm glad you found a source closer to you to help build your projects.;)
It has to be so hard seeing parts for sale and no way of getting them which is pretty common here.
Stay safe!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Phillip, glad to have you aboard! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Philipnzw

Welcome:)
I'm glad you found a source closer to you to help build your projects.;)
It has to be so hard seeing parts for sale and no way of getting them which is pretty common here.
Stay safe!

yeah IMO it is very hard to have any DIY-based hobby if it is not already popular in your country.
But for now i can dig around chinese sites to source for parts.

Welcome to the LPF, Philip. Yes, the Chinese sellers on eBay are a source of diodes and laser parts for us here in the US. You can often find better prices there if you know what you are looking for.

Philipnzw

update folks, finally had the time to complete my first build last week. Its still a little inconsistent as the laser can be turned off when shaking it, guess ill just have to rework the soldered joints carefully.

Also, check to see that your battery is not making and breaking connection.

Philipnzw

Yeah that's the first thing I checked, seems like it's ok. Now I've narrowed down the problem to a loose connection around the circular driver, as this little flashlight doesn't really have a driver retaining ring. I'mma add a little spring inside the body to keep the driver pushed against the small brass ring.