Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from Germany

Tuxifix

Hi members,

I am a physicist from Germany and professionally working with high-power lasers. Recently, I got interested using a laser diode for marking/engraving in a small project. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with laser diodes and their capabilities in marking/engraving different materials yet, and would be glad to get a little help in finding the right tool (diode).

Best regards,
Tuxifix

Hello! This is definitely the right place to find people willing to help you with projects - so do take a look around, use the Search box to look for previous threads and take a read of the stickied posts.

405nm diodes are usually recommended for marking and engraving as they offer a good balance of power to beam specifications - i.e. A 405nm diode can have it's output focused to a very small tight spot, which concentrates the power better.

445nm Diodes can put out far more power - but they do this by putting multiple emitters in one package - so the beams tend to be quite rectangular - the overall tightest spot they can be focused to is larger (it will appear as a small rectangle, rather than a narrow point).

Very important (as I'm sure you know, working with lasers) is eye protection of the suitable wavelength you're going for. For marking/engraving, you can either do this with goggles for everyone in the room - or an appropriate enclosure for the engraving machine.

Tuxifix

Hi Nick,

thanks for the engraving-diodes-in-a-nutshell. :)
I was going through quite a bit of threads already, but did not find the right answer yet. Do you think it is possible to mark anodized aluminum (remove or bleach the oxide coating) with diodes? If so, can you recommend one? I was thinking about buying a NUBM08, which I think is similar to a NUBM44 just with a lens, or a lower-power single-mode diode. I tended to the NUBM08 because I guess, even if ideally the intensity in focus is equal to that of a lower-power single-mode diode, it is not as sensitive to the quality of the focussing optics.
Anyway, if answering this question becomes to complex (anything else than 'no' ;)), should I create a new thread in the General section?

Best regards, Tuxifix

Tuxifix

Have a look at OPT Laser --a company in Poland --good quality and reasonable engraving head prices
see: https://optlasers.com/cnc-3d-lasers/ and https://optlasers.com/heads/
Hi Encap,
thanks for the link, but several 100€ is by far more than what I would like to spend on this project. They have interesting lasers, for sure, but a little too professional for the rare cases I will use the laser. Furthermore, I enjoy learning to build things on my own, from time to time, and if possible that should include building the laser and power supply as well. Just for the sake of curiosity.

Best regards,
Tuxifix

Welcome to the LPF. We have several members from Germany. Chloderic comes to mind right now. There are less expensive engraving kits you can purchase, but it is not what I have gotten into at all yet. I wouldn't feel right recommending one to you under these circumstances.

Tuxifix

[...] be safe.
Thank you! I honestly need to take care, as I just ordered an eye-burning >4W NUBM8 diode. :cool:
I mean, I know what I am doing, as well as most of you guys do. But the more I read through posts on this board the more shocked I am about how ridiculously dangerous some guys handle lasers here. My eyes literally began to hurt alone from the thought of guys flailing around with their "laser pointers". In my honest opinion, it is just ridiculous to have a handheld >100mW laser just as a toy (and forbidden by law at least in Germany). Anyways, I know that most of you know what you are doing. I just wish the threshold of getting such lasers for people who do not was a little higher. :confused: