Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello from an old noob.

N8XYN

Just joined coming from a general technology background since I was a child reading Popular Electronics in the 7th grade trying not to get my ass kicked.
I have interests in single board computers, amatuer radio, general electronics and almost anything nerdy. I am legally blind and have been my entire life so you'd think this something odd to find myself interested in but those things happen like the time I became interested in astronmy until I discovered the best nights were the coldest ;-) I only own a couple sub 100mw greens that were touted to be much more powerful but live and learn. I just ordered my first high powered laser from jetlasers.com and lookingh forward to having one that meets advertized specs. It's probably good the others didn't because my goggles were pretty poor but good enough for those but I would have probably went completely blind with the 5 watts I ordered. I'm looking forward to like 90% reading the forum until I learn a little something then maybe asking the occasional question of the experts. I have a site bookmarked for parts to build one probably also under 100 mw until I have to confidence to go higher. Thanks for allowing me to join and now to the reading part.

dylpicklechip

Welcome, and congrats on the recent purchase! Keep in mind your lower power greens might also kick out a high amount of IR that could still be dangerous. If you're looking for a reliable pair of safety glasses, check out the options for various wavelengths from Survival Laser.

Be sure to update your account signature so we can see what you've got!

Welcome to the LPF. Be careful with a 5 watt laser. Those are 445nm to 450nm and are not as visible mW for mW compared to the green lasers. They will not only blind you, but can give you a nasty burn anywhere on your body. You might like to get into building your own eventually. I have built many pointers and lab style lasers.

FuzzyPancake

Welcome to the forums! I assume you bought JL's PL-E Pro series. I posted an extended review of my own PL-E Pro from JL in just the last week or so as my own first "serious" laser. Needless to say, you may be interested in reading it.

And ahh... care if I ask what you plan on doing with a 5 watts laser? That is scary powerful.

N8XYN

Welcome to the forums! I assume you bought JL's PL-E Pro series. I posted an extended review of my own PL-E Pro from JL in just the last week or so as my own first "serious" laser. Needless to say, you may be interested in reading it.

And ahh... care if I ask what you plan on doing with a 5 watts laser? That is scary powerful.

I completely read your review before purchasing and it was very complete indeed. Much better than an average "laser good buy" review I've seen ;-)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, N8XYN, glad to have you aboard! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

As others have already mentioned, be very careful with your new J/L 5W, it's a very powerful laser; IMO, Survival laser will be your best bet for affordable high quality safety eyewear.
Be sure and let us know how you like your J/L when you get it, you've definitely ordered from one of the best laser companies out there.
BTW, pictures are always a plus. (y)

FuzzyPancake

I completely read your review before purchasing and it was very complete indeed. Much better than an average "laser good buy" review I've seen ;-)
Happy to help! I also had a hard time finding reviews that actually made me feel like I knew what I was getting into, so I wanted to make the review that I wish existed before my purchase.

Please carry the favor forward and write your own review. It doesn't have to be as ambitious as mine. For the hobby's sake, we should provide resources for buyers that encourage them to only give their money to good companies (assuming you have a good experience, which I don't doubt you will), so the handheld laser marketplace doesn't forever have to be made of 500 garbage sellers and only like 6 trustworthy sellers.

So many people come here with stories like "hey I just bought the 'military grade 30km 10000mw burning laser pen' from LazerBro for $40 and it died in a week. Where can I get a quality laser?".

Last edited: