Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello chaps! I am new to LPF and wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone in Los Angeles was interested in collaborating on a video project : )

Carl Sagan

Hello everyone!

My name is Sam and I am a video maker from New Zealand currently visiting Los Angeles (until the 10th of July) and was hoping to shoot a one shot video art piece with a laser and was wondering if a local laser enthusiast might be interested in collaborating with me on the project? After researching lasers in LA I found the LPF site so am new to it and apologies if I originally posted in the wrong part of the forum : )
I am looking for a blue laser beam which is as thick as possible and the idea is to reflect the laser beam through a mirror in an outside art directed setting during dusk with a smoke machine to generate a surreal atmosphere and also help the laser beam to stand out.
If anyone is interested to know more please let me know. I wish I was rich so I could offer a generous payment but unfortunately I am not. That said I would be happy to cover any expenses involved and of course the laser artist would be credited in the art piece : )
(I imagine it taking 1-2 hours)

Thanks very much!

Sam

Welcome to the LPF, Sam. I am not in LA, so I can't help you. Good luck to you, though.

Putting on a display in public with a laser that strong will mean a permit/variance I would expect.

You might want to talk to a rental company about what you want to do.

Encap

Putting on a display in public with a laser that strong will mean a permit/variance I would expect.

You might want to talk to a rental company about what you want to do.

Exactly right RedCowboy. To do what he wants to do legally would require a variance from FDA , probably 2 of them, one for the laser and one for the use + liability insurance issues and local authority issues to deal with and so on.
Would take much longer than than by 10 July to do all the paperwork to apply for the needed variances and receive an approval or denial back from the FDA.

Carl Sagen:
Is pretty obvious that you have no idea of the USA laser rules, regulations, and laws. or the risks and costs involved to implement what you want to do.
Is unfortunate that you even ask as your first and only communication with forum members as nobody knows anything about you, what your are doing, or why other than someone visiting LA for a short time from New Zealand.
No background or credibility of any kind in any area, is just that.
Not likely that you will find anyone wanting to take the risks or get involved in an outlaw/illegal, no liability insurance laser activities outdoors here on LPF. Is not the kind of risk any member takes nor the kind of thing any LPF member ever does - nor have you given any real reason to. My guess is that the time, cost, and risks involved in your imagined "video art" daydream outweigh any worth/value in the real world for hobbyists.

Try Googling professional laser light show companies in Los Angeles and call a few as mentioned before.
They have the required FDA variances, the insurance, and the laser equipment.
The other choice is buy or rent a laser and do whatever you want to do at your own risk.

Carl Sagan

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to respond : )
I have no idea about the USA laser rules, regulations, and laws sorry! : )
Are there any laser pointers one could buy from a shop that is less powerful, safe and legal to use without any regulations, and laws?
Thanks very much for your help and feedback : )

If you do this in doors with only the people involved in making the video you needn't worry about an FDA variance. This is how I would do it if it were my video. No public, no variance.

diachi

Check out photonlexicon.com - Plenty of laser display professionals over there that can get you up and running and answer any questions you have. Some in the LA area as far as I remember too.

There's also the "Laserist" group on Facebook.

Carl Sagan

Thanks very much everyone for your tips and help, I have found someone to work with on the project. Thanks very much! : )