Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hello All! Been awhile.

94Z28

Hello guys,

Been quite awhile since I have logged on. Life has been crazy lately with the new house and my kid about to start school. Just the other night me and my son pulled out some of the lasers and had some fun with them. Also we have been using those star shower motion things to have some fun!

Anyway, I have a laser driver or two and some modules that I wanted to do a build on since I haven't had any custom work coming through lately and I was looking for some suggestions on some of the newer diodes that I have missed out on. I am SERIOUSLY considering a build for the 488nm that is available now as the light blue is awesome, but not sure if there is a good low-current low-noise driver on the market anymore.

Other than that, I would want something higher-power maybe a green. I see something on DTR's website called a NUGM02 or something that is 520nm I believe for a really good price compared to what I used to pay for the 1w 520 diodes.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome back, Z! :D
Life has a way of taking over like that. If you build a 488nm, you'll love that wavelength, such a beautiful color.

94Z28

Welcome back, Z! :D
Life has a way of taking over like that. If you build a 488nm, you'll love that wavelength, such a beautiful color.

Thanks buddy! It certainly does man, sometime it's hard to find spare time for hobbies. I have been looking on the website for 488nm beam shots. Any suggestions for a driver for the 488nm?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Here is a link to my 488nm build thread, with all the components I used.
There is also a link in my sig. for a 493nm build; I think anything in this wavelength range is great.

The problem with trying to build a 488nm light blue laser using the Sharp GH04850B2G diode is the wavelength can end up anywhere from 486.5nm to 493nm. Anything above 488nm is starting to turn green to my eyes and more so the higher the wavelength. I used the Nano boost driver set to 275 mA for all my sharp builds, but my understanding is they are no longer available. I think the adjustable buck driver from X-Woosse up to 500 mA is likely a good choice for a driver for this diode, but you will have to use two batteries as the Vf is too high for one.

94Z28

The problem with trying to build a 488nm light blue laser using the Sharp GH04850B2G diode is the wavelength can end up anywhere from 486.5nm to 493nm. Anything above 488nm is starting to turn green to my eyes and more so the higher the wavelength. I used the Nano boost driver set to 275 mA for all my sharp builds, but my understanding is they are no longer available. I think the adjustable buck driver from X-Woosse up to 500 mA is likely a good choice for a driver for this diode, but you will have to use two batteries as the Vf is too high for one.

Hey paul thanks for the outlook and info on the 488. I have had many 450s and a few 473. I really want to experience a 488 atleast for little while.

What's the max current you guys run those 488? And the minimum output for less shift and still decent beam.

I, personally, wouldn't run it past 350 mA, but they all do over 100 mW at 275 mA. If you are concerned about wavelength shift on these it happens more with temperature than current, so use a large heat sink. The greatest gripe with this diode is the rectangular artifact that appears with some glass lenses to the side of the beam profile. It can be removed by using the 520nm 2 element lens from DTR, or sometimes with the acrylic lens you get with any module you buy for mounting the diode. There are other lenses that can help with this too.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Really, George, three days in and only three posts, and you're pushing a link to an essay writing site; WTF!

Encap

Really, George, three days in and only three posts, and you're pushing a link to an essay writing site; WTF!

Exactly---reported it ---3 meaningless posts and one of them a moronic unauthorized advert,/promotion of garbage essay writing business site.
None of the posts are legit LPF comments of any kind.

Last edited: