Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heatsink problem

gebebi5730

Few days ago, my 4W blue laser stopped working. I tried to open it to see if the problem is in the diode or the driver.
I tried to apply strong force and even heat it up. Nothing really helps. What is the proper way to unscrew this and access it?
Thank you

Attachments

• laser.jpg
    laser.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 20

GSS

Oh my, using heat wasn't a good idea.
What kind of unit is it?

gebebi5730

It is OX-BX5. I have no idea how can I remove the brass heatsink from the housing.

GSS

The heat sink most likely screwed in as there are threads showing and was most likley held with a lot of glue.
Even if you got it to turn, it might of twisted the wires inside off the diode pins or driver. Adding heat to something that doesn't like heat in the first place even if it's a outside source and not the working laser heat probably damaged it completely..
At this point I would just buy a new one for $50 or $70..
You can still try and work with this unit and learn a few things about it for future projects..

Encap

What GSS said ^^^

Looks like the brass module should unscew from the host body but could be cheaper construction with module press fit into the host and glued---who knows? Looks pretty chewed up from your attempts. You might have to cut it apart just to see what's what as a matter of information/curiosity destroying the unit in the process.
The laser is not one that is immediately recognizable. Looks like it is not meant to be user serviceable without difficulty--typical low cost mass produced product.
What laser is it, from whom. As GSS asked "what kind of unit is it?"
What sort of cost was the laser. If it is a ow cost throw away if their is a problem, just get another one if you like it or a better quality unit to replace it as it would cost more to fix it than to buy another one and so on.

Doubt there is a anyone that is going to have any knowledge of how to disassemble it being it is not a laser normally seen on LPF----there is a off chance someone might recognize it but don't hold your breath

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Encap, It's a OXlaser "BX-BX5" typical copy of a Thor. A 3W goes for around $100 with the case, glasses and star caps..

Yes gebeb, again I would study it's workings as there's always something to learn..

gebebi5730

I managed to open it by drilling a hole to the side of heatsink and using a tap wrench.

Attachments

• 20191101_102840.jpg
    20191101_102840.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20191101_103543.jpg
    20191101_103543.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191101_103840.jpg
    20191101_103840.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 17
  • 20191101_103844.jpg
    20191101_103844.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, that is a whole lot of glue. Even in places where it would never be needed. Now you can scrape all that off to get a look at the driver.

GSS

Yeah, that is a whole lot of glue. Even in places where it would never be needed. Now you can scrape all that off to get a look at the driver.
Your not kidding :rolleyes: They sure try to not let you get in there.
gebeb, that was a cool way to get it open.. I was way off as far as threading depth, just at the top and the rest is just pressed in a little..
For 9mm diode at 4W that is a small heatsink they are using, even for brass standards..
Thanks for the look inside gebeb..

Hi,
OMG that poor laser , well that was the only way to get it apart. Now your going to need a new host and heat sink. Thats how the Chinese put these things together Brass and a lot of glue terrible . Brass is not a good heat transfer system for a high power diode. And all that glue makes it harder to repair the faulty components . Sorry to hear that you had two go through all this trouble to find out what is the issue.
Copper or Aluminum transfer heat the best . Pure silver being #1 but not feasible good luck with your project .
Rich:)

Your not kidding :rolleyes: They sure try to not let you get in there.
gebeb, that was a cool way to get it open.. I was way off as far as threading depth, just at the top and the rest is just pressed in a little..
For 9mm diode at 4W that is a small heatsink they are using, even for brass standards..
Thanks for the look inside gebeb..
Hi GSS
If it were me I would have used a 3 lb. engineers hammer to crack it open , Then started from scratch it would be great if some Chinese vendors or manufacturers would build and sell a handheld that could be repaired by the every day Joe in this hobby. NO GLUE ... Wouldn't that be great.
Rich:)

• Haha