Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HeatSink/host question

Hi guys i have a question about heatsinks/hosts.

Its been a really long time since iv been on the forum and i have forgotten many things. One of them being information about heatsinks and hosts. I remember reading somewhere that there is a certain amount of time you can use the laser then you have to let it cool down for example:"i turn on my 200mW green laser for 10 seconds then let it cool down for 30 seconds"

I have just purchased this laser

$28.80 - 200mW 532nm Green Laser Pen (2*AAA) - Green Lasers

So maybe i am wrong and it doesn't need to be cooled down unless its used excessively and i can feel the heat. So do I need to wait a certain amount of time b4 i use it again? If so i would appreciate it if you could give me an estimation on how long i can use it for and how much it needs to cool down for.

If its anywhere over 100mW I would Keep it on No More then 30sec to 45sec max.

I had a key chain Green laser that was doing 114mW and i followed a 30sec on 1-2minutes off.

This pen you linked too is a little larger then mine so Fallow a 30-45sec on to 1 Minute off duty cycle.

The only way to tell for sure is write down when you get the laser when it starts to get warm. Once you feel it start to get warm then thats your on time. DO the same for off time. Write down the time it takes to cool.

If your laser does not get warm to the touch then i always follow the 1 minute on 1 minute off.

That pen is most likely ~100mW With "IR". so i would say 30-40sec on and 1 -1 1/2minutes off.

Those type of laser can range for 50mW-150mW. Even though the tittle says 200mW its highly unlikely you would get that off 2x AAA cells and for that cheap.

Hope this helps.:beer: