Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Health laser 980nm 65w power question.

Hey everyone, in my local area we have some treatment places that use a 65w gentox laser 980nm for physiotherapy- shining the laser into joints to help heal arthritis pain. My question is- they used what the machine said was 30w on my neck- how did this not burn a hole clean through my neck or melt my skin off? They did this for 20 minutes! Knowing the power of laser pointers, even a 1w laser barely focused would burn the skin quite badly. Here is a link to the laser they use.

Here is one for sale on Ali express that I am considering purchasing as this laser treatment has given me a great deal of relief from a degenerated disc in c5-c6.

US $1,979.10 10% Off | 60W 980nm Diode Laser Machine Nail Fungus Removal Spider Vein Removal Physical Therapy and Lipolaser Reduce Cellulite on Sale

Appreciate everyone’s help, I know it’s a little off topic but still involves lasers, and I’ve been involved here for so long I figure I would ask you guys if you knew what could be the deal here.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It’s about the absorption at that wavelength. Also the exposure amount is critical. This is why we only want certified practitioners using licensed medical equipment.

Well they use 30w power with 980nm to administer 3600 joules, I could do the same with that machine there if it’s a true machine. But I don’t understand why it doesn’t burn me, do you?

Dusty_Lenses

Well they use 30w power with 980nm to administer 3600 joules, I could do the same with that machine there if it’s a true machine. But I don’t understand why it doesn’t burn me, do you?
Its all about the wavelength and concentration of energy. Not to mention that the emission point probably throws like a flashlight.

Red and into infrared make your finger glow as an example, but this will not happen with green, blue, or violet. Try that with
30W of 405 and the results would be much different.

Its all about the wavelength and concentration of energy. Not to mention that the emission point probably throws like a flashlight.

Red and into infrared make your finger glow as an example, but this will not happen with green, blue, or violet. Try that with
30W of 405 and the results would be much different.
Could such a thing really be useful for healing? And what do you make of the 60w device I listed?

Dusty_Lenses

The laser based therapies which i've read about typically use class 3b laser. This is also known as "cold laser". Though
im no doctor, I do know that IR and reds penetrate deep, as for their effect on tissues, you'd have to research
the available studies. I know its used in sports medicine.

In other words, the light can make it to the target, but what happens from there I couldnt tell you.

The laser based therapies which i've read about typically use class 3b laser. This is also known as "cold laser". Though
im no doctor, I do know that IR and reds penetrate deep, as for their effect on tissues, you'd have to research
the available studies. I know its used in sports medicine.

In other words, the light can make it to the target, but what happens from there I couldnt tell you.

This journal article evaluated many different high intensity laser treatments and found they do seem to work. But I want to know what device I should get for best value and effect. I was reading that the cold
Lasers of lower power have less pain relieving effect, that the high intensity lasers seem to produce more pain relief. Not sure why that would be but I think that’s the kind I would want to get.

I also found this product which has perplexing specs, maybe someone can better explain it to me. It says max power is 25,000mw (25w) but then for output it says this as well:

Laser Peak Power: 25,000 mW

Average power:
Total radiation: 60-90 mW

Laser radiation: 0.4-6.25 mW

Infrared radiation: 30-90 mW

Red LEDs: 2-10 mW

Wavelength of:
Laser radiation: 905nm

Infrared radiation: 875 nm

Red radiation: 635 nm

Laser beam parameters: The product contains a class 3B near IR laser having following beam specifications:

Wavelength - 905 nm

Pulse energy - 3 W

Pulse width - 100 ns

Beam Diameter - 1.3x3.1 mm

Beam divergence - > 100 mR

How can it be 25,000mw and also only 0.4-6.25mw and also 3w lol. And class 3b??? I’m baffled. Any input you guys have is helpful. Then my next question is how does this compare with that 60w unit I posted above? The specs on these medical device lasers are very perplexing.

Dusty_Lenses

I did some reading last night regarding wavelength. Seems up around the 1000nm mark, it can induce clotting of blood. Id be cautious of class 4 systems in the NIR range.

Again, im not a doctor, I dont even play one on TV... but some real caution should be exercised with use of such devices.:coffee:

Well as I mentioned I’ve been going to a local pain clinic that uses this gentox 65w device, 980nm that shows a setting or 30w. They go back and forth over my neck for 20 minutes and the device shows it administers 3600 joules of energy. So should I just buy that big machine? Seems like it would be 20 grand. I found an alternative one that is 13 grand that does up to 45watts, 15 watts 810nm 15 watts 980nm and 15 watts 1064nm for $12000. But that Ali express machines claims 60 watts of 980 for $2000. Seems like a steal, but is it effective like the gentox machine the pain clinic has been using on me?

Dusty_Lenses

Well the first thing I would consider is the output rating. China sellers and possibly manufacturers love to tally up the power input values and add them to the laser output for a grand total of BS.

Im afraid there may be only one way to find out what the actual specs are, and that involves the risk in buying. That is unless you get lucky and find a thorough review on a specific unit.

Outside of that, you're guess is as good as mine.