Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Has anyone tried reverse engineering with optics drivers?

ch0rwel

Hello, i would like to know if someone has tried to modify a optical drives such as DVD(from computers, notebooks, or DVD players ), instead of removing the diode laser from the original device to construct a new circuit for it(like those of voltage regulator, for ex: LM317), one can "outwit" the main device function(to read CD media ) with some reverse programming(if it possible by modifying the program of any programmable ROM(if it has any) or the main CHIP contained in the drive) or by hardware modification, therefore not a drastic modification but taking advance at least the diode's power control, so that the diode can works constantly with no need of a readable media and also one can still use the original mechanical functions from the drive: CD tray, motors, etc for any task experiment. I know it sounds absurd or useless but i wasn't able find anything about it anywhere.😉👍

gazer101

You would need intimate knowledge of the specific circuitry, which is probably highly proprietary. You'd be better off buying an LM317 for 50 cents and calling it a day

Your problem here is optical. The assembly is designed to focus, not collimate.

To a lesser extent, a problem is you're likely to encounter ASICs when working in territory like this. You'll often find no datasheet for ASICs, since they're almost proprietary by definition.

Perhaps a third deal-breaker is thermal. These are pulsed in normal operation, and anyone that's disassembled an optical drive will tell you the heat sinks are very small as a result of this. Something may melt if you attempt CW operation in situ