Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Handheld laser with remote trigger?

Ash_D

Hi, I'm an educator looking for a handheld laser that can be slid/screwed into a mount for aiming with some kind of remote trigger so the angle won't be altered by pushing a button on the housing to turn it on.

The setup I'm looking for is for physics class demonstrations (lighting a match, popping a balloon, scorching wood, etc) I'd prefer a handheld laser so I can keep it on my person when it's not being used for safety reasons (not to mention the risk of sticky fingers if you know what I mean), but can be slid into a mount and has a battery cap or similar power connection that has a wire leading down to a button/key/etc so I can set it up ahead of time and just push the button/turn the key to fire it.

Most of the lasers I've looked at with a remote trigger have to be mounted "permanently," which is less than ideal when dealing with students. (While a key system would *work* I'd feel a LOT safer if I could put it in my pocket or lock it in my desk drawer --- which simply does not have the room for storing a large setup --- and even locking it up in the lounge between classes... well even adults can make stupid choices when they aren't familiar with laser safety and are curious.)

Power/color is not a huge concern as long as it's powerful enough for demonstration purposes (I'm thinking ~200mw should be adequate) though I'd prefer visible spectrum (invisible IR just doesn't have the same "effect" on viewers). The thing that's so hard to find is the battery-cap with a remote trigger (it seems like a simple modification from a lock-in-cap setup, but nothing I've seen has this option)

Also, just to put minds at ease, I already have secured reliable laser-protection eyewear for all the students, including several extra pairs (just waiting to see what wavelength I end up with before finalizing the order)

The budget for this is $500 for the laser equipment (though I can probably push it a little higher if needed for safety reasons.) Would like to be able to receive it within 6 weeks

julianthedragon

Watching this thread, could use something like this. I try googling but all that comes up are those cheap remote control/laser pointer hybrids or photography products

Really guys ? Ebay and the web is loaded with remote control parts, something like a garage door opener that's encoded to help avoid accidental activation.

Remember to use extra caution when operating any laser over 5mw, don't leave any unintentional accidents waiting to happen and don't create a hazard that could get out of control, also anyone viewing laser experiments needs to be wearing the appropriate laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength that you will be working with.

You can set these up to be latching ( click the button and the relay latches on until you click the off button ) or momentary ( it's only on while you're holding the button ) or for extra safety you could use a 2 channel unit and have an ( enable ) button to latch the 1st relay and an ( activate ) button to turn on your laser/device. Just read the directions and remember safety 1st.......That said I can't help but to feel like a teacher should be in control ( hands on ) of a laser over 5mw at all times when working with students, please insure your demonstration is safe, maybe think about a laboratory style laser, something with an aperture shutter and safety dongle.

Last edited:

Anthony P

I have in my hand a tail cap that has a short cord on it with a remote switch. I don't remember where I got it, but I think it was Survival Laser.