Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hair Coloring

Have you ever dyed your hair?

• Total voters

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
On a hair related note - has anyone tried any of the products out there that claim to slow or even reverse hair loss? I'd imagine lots of it is just a gimmick, but if anything can help at all it'd be worth a shot. I'm 29 years old but have noticed thinning of my hair in certain places on my head starting about 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

Most of the products are just BS that make hair thicker. There are a few that may work, but can have pretty extreme side effects. Pretty much the only method that does work, but again, is not likely to be permanent forever, is to get hair transplants.

Jhop

I swear I've heard somewhere that repeatedly dying ones hair and washing it out cause more rapid hair loss? :shhh:

I am 35 and still have a full head of hair. It is very thick and grows fast. I don't foresee it thinning anytime soon. Also i have never dyed it, nor plan to. I don't have kids and don't plan to so I have that going for my hair :D:na:

My dad was going bald up top I think in his late 30's maybe early 40's (according to old photos ive seen-as he was 35 when i was born)but he had 4 sons by that point :tinfoil:

Benm

I swear I've heard somewhere that repeatedly dying ones hair and washing it out cause more rapid hair loss?

Well no, it doesn't. What it can cause is the (already dead) hair to get thinner, break of and such, resulting in what looks like hair loss.

This does not mean you grow less hair or thinner hairs, and it will probably grow back to it's former glory once you stop bleaching and dying the heck out of it.

Hair growth is mostly hormonally driven, and does not change regardless of what you do to that hair as long as you don't yank it out including the follicles.

Shaving hair, for example, does nothing about the growth rate of the hair. What it does do is cut of the hair closer to the point it grows, making it feel more rough. If you were to shave the hair on your arms or legs it may seem that the hair growing back is more rough, but that's only because it was cut off at a thicker part of the hair, removing the natural tapering shaped tip.

One exception may be hair that naturally sheds, like that on your head or beard in some people. Some people can grow infinitely long head or beard hair whilst other cannot: in some people a hair just stops growing after some period of time, and if that period is a year you probably cannot grow a beard longer that 15 cm or so. This would only be a concern if you planned on joining zz-top though ;)

I had fire engine red 4-6 in spiked hair for years.
Step 1 Bleach hair with Quick Blue powder mixed with either 30 or 40 developer.
(This stuff burns your scalp, try to avoid getting it on your scalp as much as possible.)
Wash it out after the allotted time on the packaging, your hair should be bleach blonde at this point.
Step 2 Put in Manic Panic Vampire Red (or the color of your choosing). Place hair in either seran wrap or a grocery bag and heat on low with hair dryer. Wait as long as you possibly can stand before washing it out. I would recommend playing computer games for a couple hours or watching a movie or two. The longer you wait before washing it out the better/longer it will stay. Manic Panic is not "harmful" to your hair and will not cause your hair to fall out. (the bleach in step 1 will if not careful). Wash your hair outside if possible as there is a chance it will semi-permanently stain your tub/shower. (takes quite a while for it to fade out) Wash your hair with soap a few times. It will "bleed". Spray hairspray on your skin if you get the manic panic on your skin and it will remove it prior to it "setting". Hairspray will break down the dye over time. If your hair is not fully dry the dye will "run". This usually stops after a couple of washes but is normal.

If you plan to spike your hair use the highest strength gel you can find and the strongest hairspray you can find. Turn upside-down and use a crap ton of gel and hairspray and a hair dryer while your head is upside-down. My spikes were so sharp it would hurt if you got stuck by them. I could sleep with my hair spiked and wake up and only have to lightly wet the tips and there was still enough gel/spray to continue for the rest of the day.

https://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Quick-Powder-Bleach-Ounce/dp/B000A409J8?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/30-Creme-Dev...8&qid=1490298196&sr=1-3&keywords=30+developer

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...prefix=manic+pa,beauty,181&crid=122JXD8Z30DE2

I highly recommend those products. I used them for years.

Last edited:

Benm

Wow, that seems to be way too much work to spend on coloring hair (or anything really, you could probably repaint a car in that much effort and time).

Using oxidizing bleach products may not be the best of ideas though, as this could turn your hair gray prematurely. It will not make you go bald, but oxidation is the reason people get gray eventually. Naturally it's caused by oxidizing metabolic products and the lack of anti-oxidants to stop them with age, but if you actually put things like hydrogen peroxide on your head that may aggrevate the problem.

Also look at the MSDS for such compounds - if those say to avoid skin contact and rinse with plenty of water (or more drastic measures) if exposed, it's probably not the best idea to rub it in your hair or anywhere even close to your skin ;)

Wow, that seems to be way too much work to spend on coloring hair (or anything really, you could probably repaint a car in that much effort and time).

Using oxidizing bleach products may not be the best of ideas though, as this could turn your hair gray prematurely. It will not make you go bald, but oxidation is the reason people get gray eventually. Naturally it's caused by oxidizing metabolic products and the lack of anti-oxidants to stop them with age, but if you actually put things like hydrogen peroxide on your head that may aggrevate the problem.

Also look at the MSDS for such compounds - if those say to avoid skin contact and rinse with plenty of water (or more drastic measures) if exposed, it's probably not the best idea to rub it in your hair or anywhere even close to your skin ;)

Just keep dying your hair and you never see the grey... right..... riiiiight? :crackup: