Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Guessing the power

You don't see brighter beams in the fog ??? You must not get very dense fog, around here it's an intense difference, like a room filled by a fog machine, have you ever used a fog machine ?

I'll put it this way, when looking at how well different lenses focus far field I can better see the spherical aberrations more clearly on a foggy night than a clear night, around here on a foggy night the beam won't make a spot on distant tree stands because lighting the beam through the fog eats up all the power, and when it's really foggy I can't see distant tree stands, but it is a significant difference in the visible beam brightness.

It can be so bright that the beam is hard to look at as it's so intense.

Last edited:

The fog around here makes it difficult to see across the street. Still, it didn't help much with making any of my beams that much more visible. I was quite surprised to see it had little effect over a clear night. Now it is just raining out. Seems like it will be for awhile.

Here's an old video I made and it's nothing special but you can see how just a little smoke makes a difference in beam visibility.......maybe your normal air quality is poor or something ?

Yeah, I used to smoke indoors and noticed the difference when I quit doing that. The fog here can be quite dense, but it hasn't worked well for making the beam more visible. I think I have a couple of photos I took that will show this. I'll have to look for them later, and if I find them, I will post a couple here to show you.