Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Grow your own KTP crystals?

dataplumber9 said:
Has anyone entertained the idea of growing their own KTP crystals? I wonder how difficult it really is.

Remember Google is your friend.

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=dataplumber9 link=1199318543/0#2 date=1199321084]I meant potassium trihydrogen phosphate.

No you don't. You mean potassium titanyl phosphate.[/quote]

Yes I did. This is old-school stuff. There are 2 KTP acronyms, which can be confusing.
I can't post an URL, so you have to look it up if you want knowledge, grasshopper.

It's also interesting to see results from what appears to be a para-nuclear effect when using Potassium Dideuterium Phosphate. Adding a neutron make a difference!

steve001 said:
[quote author=dataplumber9 link=1199318543/0#0 date=1199318542]Has anyone entertained the idea of growing their own KTP crystals? I wonder how difficult it really is.

[/quote]
Yes, Google researching in progress; that's part of the search for knowledge. The other part is collaboration between interested parties. Don't you like parties? :-?

dataplumber9 said:
[quote author=Cyparagon link=1199318543/0#14 date=1199459937]

[quote author=dataplumber9 link=1199318543/0#2 date=1199321084]I meant potassium trihydrogen phosphate.

No you don't. You mean potassium titanyl phosphate.[/quote]

Yes I did. This is old-school stuff. There are 2 KTP acronyms, which can be confusing.
I can't post an URL, so you have to look it up if you want knowledge, grasshopper.

It's also interesting to see results from what appears to be a para-nuclear effect when using Potassium Dideuterium Phosphate. Adding a neutron make a difference![/quote]

I'm still pretty sure you're talking about potassium DIhydrogen phosphate (KDP or KH2PO4).  Potassium dideuterium phosphate is KD*P (KD2PO4).  KD*P is what is usually used in non-linear optics.  

Either crystal would be somewhat easy to make but KD*P would be more expensive because you would have to use only deuterated reagents.  In either case, you'd just precipitate KDP/KD*P from a solution of KOH/KOD and phosphoric acid/deuterated phosphoric acid in H2O/D2O under controlled conditions.  By controlled conditions I mean slowly, and at constant or slowly ramped temperature in a dust-free environment.

Switch

That sounds totaly unachieavable with household items.....But I wouldn't know, I'm more into organic chemistry...

And I do belive growing your own crystals is way more difficult than making a green laser if you have all the parts, especially when there are "do-it-yourself green laser" kits ::)

Switch said:
That sounds totaly unachieavable with household items.....But I wouldn't know, I'm more into organic chemistry...

And I do belive growing your own crystals is way more difficult than making a green laser if you have all the parts, especially when there are "do-it-yourself  green laser" kits ::)

Just because you're doing it at home, doesn't mean you're using household items.  It would probably be difficult, but far from unachievable.  All the reagents can be bought readily.  The reaction is of the "mix and wait" type.  The hardest thing would be designing and building the mini environment to do the reaction in.  This would primarily consist of a closed chamber with a temperature sensor, heating circuit, and nitrogen flow.

Still, I doubt anyone is going to do this.  Are these crystals expensive?

It would likely be a pressurized chamber as well. The idea is in the spirit of DIY science, regardless of whether it's cost-effective, practical, or even sane.
So far, this is just a crazy idea based on some report I read that potassium trihydrogen phosphate would be easier to make than potassium titanyl phosphate, producing blue light from Q-tripling. Corrections are welcome!

dataplumber9 said:
It would likely be a pressurized chamber as well. The idea is in the spirit of DIY science, regardless of whether it's cost-effective, practical, or even sane.
So far, this is just a crazy idea based on some report I read that potassium trihydrogen phosphate would be easier to make than potassium titanyl phosphate, producing blue light from Q-tripling. Corrections are welcome!

Q-tripling?

@dataplumber: pic fom xkcd.com, webcomic.

What kind of report are you talking about? any chance for a link or a scan? Because that sure sounds interesting!

Man, that would be a really fun challenge, grow your own crystals! But proper crystals.

Still, getting the cut/HR-AR-coatings on there will be another additional pain in the rectum!!!

Nevertheless, got any more info on that report?

If anyone does this - I wanna see. But personally, I don't think you;re gonna do it... though it sounds like an awesome experiment.

ChuangTzu said:
[quote author=dataplumber9 link=1199318543/15#22 date=1199501509]... I read that potassium trihydrogen phosphate would be easier to make than potassium titanyl phosphate, producing blue light from Q-tripling...

Q-tripling?[/quote]

This was described as "frequency tripling". Now I see that I must find that web article that mentioned this effect. Will have to dig deep into my browse history.
It's probably bad form to mention data I cannot immediately reproduce here. However, I'm not yet allowed to post URLs in this forum. D'oh!

dataplumber9 said:
[quote author=steve001 link=1199318543/15#16 date=1199461497][quote author=dataplumber9 link=1199318543/0#0 date=1199318542]Has anyone entertained the idea of growing their own KTP crystals? I wonder how difficult it really is.

[/quote]
Yes, Google researching in progress; that's part of the search for knowledge. The other part is collaboration between interested parties. Don't you like parties? :-?[/quote]

Very much, but I also like to get answers faster than posting a question does. I can usually get an answer faster that way. that's why Google is your friend
As for growing this type of crystal in your bedroom to lab grade quality is beyond the skill levels of anyone here. You know these crystals have to be cleaved with nearly perfect parallel surfaces. Further more coating have to be applied if for lasing to happen. My knowledge is limited but this is what I gather is involved in the process from what I've read.

steve001 said:
[quote ]

....You know these crystals have to be cleaved with nearly perfect parallel surfaces. Further more coating have to be applied if for lasing to happen. My knowledge is limited ....

Now there's some useful bits of info!
Thanks. ;)

From what I gather, this is a toughee. I'll put this at the end of my project list, and just buy the composite crystal.