Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from sunny Ireland!

CMC

Hey there LPF!

I've been lurking around here for quite a while and decided to join :yh:

I got into lasers a couple of years ago when I was working for a company who were installing lasers into night clubs, but I wasn't there long since the company went out of business. :yabbem: So recently I ordered my first laser. I started small and ordered a cheap "5mw" 532nm laser pen. Luckily I had goggles from the job I was doing back then because it is able to burn through a black plastic bag in a few seconds, clearly overspec :D I have a 100mw 532nm "SD301" on the way aswell it will be interesting to see how it compares. I'll probably use a more reputable company like laserbtb for my next purchase, maybe a blue or violet :)

Well that's me. If you've any questions ask away! :)

ru124t

Welcome to the forum! Like you I started out with a wee greenie sd303. Just today I got the other two lasers in my signature. I have really good safety glasses and next I want to build one!

Welcome to LPF, CMC! Bet that hand held bears a nice Irish green beam seen by your eyes. There are a number of your fellow country men amongst our member list. From your intro, sounds like you have had more experiences with lasers than average. But do take the time to get acquainted with our stickies. Enjoy!:beer:

ru124t

Btw, I am from newfoundland Canada ,just a slight jump across the Atlantic and you are here!

CMC

Thank you for the wonderful replies :D

I'm not an expert on lasers but I saw a couple of cool ones in my time around them including a 15+ year old water cooled ILDA RGB laser. Never got up close to it since it was so high up in the venue, but it's case was 8 foot long, it was also running on 3 phase power if I remember correctly. B-)

I've handled a few 1, 2 & 3W 532nm as well, and designed a share of shows in Pangolin Designer. Time to start my own collection :p

Does anyone know what the story is with shipping batteries? A laser I ordered seemingly has batteries shipped with it, do you think I'll encounter any problems in regards to customs? :O

CMC

Canada isn't too far :p there's a load of Irish there now, the whole country is immigrating :D

Does anyone know what the story is with shipping batteries? A laser I ordered seemingly has batteries shipped with it, do you think I'll encounter any problems in regards to customs? :O

Nobody can say for sure as some countries inspect packages differently than others. If you laser is legal in your country, and it's shipped with batteries then you have nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, if the imported laser is illegal, and batteries are shipped with it, there is a higher chance for it to get seized. Pretty much comes down to luck!

CMC

That should be ok. I just found out they ship the batteries seperatley so it should be alright B-)

gismo

Welcome to a wonderful world of lpf.com, CMC:). Good to see another laser enthusiast active in Éire. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information around here while reading the stickies and other posts to your likings. Enjoy your staying and have fun with lasers while being safe:beer:.

Partially sunny it was alright today, but rather "floody" in recent weeks...:whistle:

jimdt7

Welcome to LPF my friend! :beer:
Make sure you spend some time reading the stickies! ;)

Jim