Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green w/ visible beam

• Thread starter electricmonk9@aol.com
  • Start date
E

electricmonk9@aol.com

I'm thinking about buying a green laser but i'm not sure what power to get. What I'm looking for is a day-visible beam or at least a very bright night visible beam. How powerful of a laser should I get and can anyone recommend a place to buy one?

I got a 50mW (siggy), visible at night, but during the day, nope. Day visible, probably at least 100mW. But for a very bright night beam, go for around 100mW too.

E

electricmonk9@aol.com

Thanks everyone :). It looks like I'll be getting about 100mw or so.

jwc

There's a lot of wiggle room in the term "day".

For example, if I take my 300mW greenie and turn it on in myh room during the day, depending on where I point it and the angle at which I look at the beam, the visibility changes. My room gets a lot of sunlight and is basically completely white, so it's very hard to see the beam unless you are at a near parallel angle. On the other hand, if I place something black (e.g. my desk chair) underneath the beam, I can see it clearly.

So don't be surprised if you don't see a 100mW laser in broad daylight; that's perfectly normal. It will be very bright in the nighttime, though, so you will enjoy that. :)

E

electricmonk9@aol.com

Alright, based on your posts and some others, a day-visible beam seems like it would take a laser of such high power that I would be uncomfortable using it outside anyway.  I'm probably just end up using it at night so 100mw sounds good. :)

You still gotta be very careful w/ a laser at that power. I'd suggest getting the DX True 30mW (only $16) if you want a cheap pointer which will look great at night. If you've never had/seen a green before, you'll be more than satisfied w/ a 30mW

Depends on where he's ordering from, DX wont ship out lasers anymore to US customers.

Ive had a few different lasers, ranging from 5mw to 100mW of dpss green. 5mW is visible at night, but nowhere nearly as bright as 100mW. I had a 50mW which was pretty bright at night but had no really good burning power. 100mW burns dark objects and pops balloons with a black dot on them. Also helps to use a magnifying glass.

Id say for cost id go with the 100mW, trust me, you'll be VERY happy.

E

electricmonk9@aol.com

I decided to order a 120mw from Day's GB, figuring I'll get around 100mw out of it. Thanks everyone for the advice. :)