Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green vs. Red laser pointer

Which color, if the laser is the same power, burns better? Which has a greater range at the same power?

at the same power the green would burn better, but you are not usually able to focus greens, so if its a fixed focus green versus an adjustable focus red, the red would win.

Green is more sensitive to our eyes, so green would be much more visible than reds.

As far as seeing it green would win for sure. i can touch clouds with my 100mw greenie. Do not have a red but, red is not as visible to the human eye so it might go "as far" but you will not be able to see it as easily.
Correct me if i'm wrong!

gotwake424

As far as burning power, the shorter the wavelength, the more energy photons carry. Essentially uv light is about twice as energetic then red. Gamma rays tend to be the most dangerous but if you shortened the wavelength even more you would find some very dangerous em radiation.

kendon

garrett13 said:
Does anyone know how far the 200mw red dilda can go if focused properly?

in any case further than you see. since there are many valuables not considered here there is no definitive answer.

a Green and Red laser of the same power, the Green will burn faster/better.

As far as focusing them, that comes down to optics and a steady hand. One thing to remember is the further you want to burn something the harder it is because
A)you need a steady hand
B)you need a more powerful laser
C)The further away the object is, the harder it is to see the dot (referring to Reds)

Also with a good lense i've seen 10mw greens pop ballons and cut trash bags but we are talking a VERY short distance.

The lasers range is a balance between two things; beam diameter and beam divergence.

By having a larger beam diameter you can focus it to have minimal beam divergence. Even on a 3mm beam diameter the best divergence you be able to find will be about 5mRad (milli radian). That means that for ever 1000 meters the beam travels it will diverge to a beam diameter of 5 meters across.

You can fix your laser with a range extender that will expand you beam diameter to around 1.5cm but get a divergence of only .5mRad! Then it will be much easier to see the spot projected at distances over 5 miles.

That advertising crap saying the laser will go 25 miles is bogus. After 25 miles the beam will be feet across. You wont see any spot.

But I digress. The optics in an Aixiz module are not very precise and your never really gonna get any better than 10mRad.

For pointing: green
For burning: red

-Tony

paoki

My 200mw red has visible dot at about 800m (thats probably as fas as i can see at night anyway)
I think it can go max 2km before dot starts getting huge.

I believe red burns better.

uhm my 400mw green burns fairly well  ;) in fact i can only hold my finger in front of it about 1/2 second --hillbilly power meter  ;D ;D ;D

just a note my mom is from Swifton Arkansas my paw from Tulsa Oklahoma