Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Optotronics 55mW, good for a first laser?

andy_c

Firstly, I'm new here, so hi everyone.

I'm looking at the Optotronics 55mW green laser pointer (optotronics . com/proddetail.php?prod=glp-55) after only having weak 1-10mW cheap red lasers in the past. I think it looks a good laser for the price ($101) although I just wanted to know if Optotronics is a good reliable brand and if 1-3mW of IR, as quoted on the Optotronics site, is a dangerous level.

Thanks in advance for any help  :)

Re: Green Optotronics 55mW, good for a first laser

No, 55mw of green is not a good Beginner level. i would go with a 5mw green first, and if your more responsible a DX true 30mw. Yes Optotronics are the best lasers you can get for your money,and 1-3mw of ir is nothing you should be worried about.

diachi

Get the 55mW , but get safety goggles as well and only use it outside without the goggles. For indoors use wear the goggles.

-Adam

i would buy one too if i had the money, but i had to get a 50mW off amazon, its great, but theres really no garuntee that it'll stay great, but for $45 (including S&H) i say its worth the risk

Razako

If you want a practical green laser to play around with and safely learn about green lasers then I suggest a 5mw pointer like the wicked core, laserglow lyra and atlasnova/z-bolt pointers. Avoid the newwish penlasers because they are simply crap. Also they usually put out more than 5mw and can hurt your eyes if you aren't careful.

If you find yourself craving more power later then pick up an X-series from novalasers and some goggles.

The Choice is yours ;)