Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Laser Recommendation (rugged, lightweight, Waterproof, daylight visible)

If a Ti-B cannot survive, might as well forget about other lasers... Besides, Ti-B comes with other wavelength, if DPSS is not suitable, then choose other wavelength for your Ti-B.

Yes, but WHY would you want to try out with an expensive TiB when you can get a decent power newwish pen for a proof of concept?

As for other wavelengths, 405nm would be too dangerous at sufficient power to be seen.

445nm could work, maybe although blue does not offer enough contrast during daytime, so again a lot of power would be needed, also there is the issue of divergence... at 600 feet the dot wouldn't be nearly as much of a "dot".

For night time, even a 5mW red keychain would work great.

Daytime is really more of an issue, and leaves green as the only choice.

Hello,

Just my 2 cents, I have a 30-32mw (lpm'd) 532 gun sight version, and at 1000ft on a gloss white painted wall, (edit-oops, found my notes and this was at 600ft, not 1000) I can see the dot easily by eye, as well as on trees at that distance. At or near the wall, it is more than visable with a size of about 3 inch diameter, (it does have exceptional divergance) but in no way too bright if looking right at it. And of course at night, this would be plenty.

As for any IR leakage from a green dpss, that is not focussed and comes out in a cone shape, and at 6-10ft or more, poses no real danger.

And believe it or not, my old 100mw red from WL (I know, I know, WL bites on all accounts, got it from a friend) is also visable at 600ft on the white wall in pure sun. And my 200 red is more than visable at this distance. At least for me.

I would suggest a 200mw focusable red for many reasons, Cheaper (around 50 bucks), way more durable, and focusable/waterproof/durable ones are plentiful. And if focussing the dot to a few inches in diameter, I can't see any issues with any eye damage to people close to the spot that you are pointing at. And the preceived brightness to those close to the dot won't be anything as drastic if it were a bright green dot. Thus reducing the chance of any flash blindness or distractions.

I did range tests of mw's at distances a few years back, but never got a chance to post the results here before some health issues forced my absence. I will see of I can find that and post it for you.

I say spend 50 bucks on a 200mw focusable red and give it a try. Plus green will never last if you are rough with it. Hopefully soon the green Diodes will become available with a decent price and output, but they are still over the horizon for the most part as of now.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Last edited:

dieck

Hi all,

Thank you for all the advice and feedback. After reflecting on all of it, I'm thinking that the most common use cases would be between 10 ft and 150 ft away (half a rope length). I'm guessing in these cases a 5-10mw green laser would be plenty.

Also, I'm not planning on smashing it repeatedly against the wall but was just trying to make it clear that it is likely to take more abuse than in a lab environment. I regularly climb with a Canon 7D DSLR and L Glass and they have survived so far.

The gun mount lasers do sound like a good option for ruggedness and momentary operation. I'll look around and run some by you here for your feedback.

If you think there is a better option with my additional detail above, I'm all ears.

Kind regards