Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser questions -- newbie

defn

So I'm in the market for a green laser I would really like a decent star pointer that shines a beam which seems to be in the 50-100 mW range. I'm limited to $100, and all the 'recommended' sites on this page have green lasers for much more than that, however I've found some on sites like dinodirect.com for like ~$50.

The one thing I'd like is some of the diffraction lenses IE the kaleidoscope, what do you guys recommend I purchase?

Is it reasonable to find a decent 50mw to 100mw green laser for under $100? with the lenses?

Thanks very much for your input.

I'm a noobie myself, but welcome to the forum. The ones on DinoDirect look pretty good, but I don't have any experience with them. I can tell you to stay away from Cheaptronics4u - Great Electronics at Great Prices . They claim to have a 200mW 532 nm (green) laser for under $50. It is defiinately NOT 200 mW, the build quality is crap, and the beam divergence is horrible. I got a 50mW 532 nm from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1), but they won't ship any lasers over 5mW to the US (per FDA restrictions).

I'm not sure how much you know about lasers since this was your first post, but be sure to save some money for a good pair of safety glasses. You only have one pair of eyes and these higher powered lasers can be very dangerous to your sight. Consider investing in a pair of certified safety glasses for the wavelength of laser you are going to buy.

Good luck!

I would suggest o-like.com. This laser looks nice ----> link

This website is cheap and has great lasers!!

AUSBEN

Last edited:
Their 100mW might be 75mW but it's still a better deal than wicked or DL. If you read the OP only has $100 to spend.

defn

i love all the lasers that I see, especially the ones from o-like, however I really want to get the kaleidoscope pattern on a higher powered one, so it can be dance hall to star pointer, even light a match if needed. I've limited my range of money to $200 the one I got from dino direct I was displeased with I need better advice.. where do I find a nice one with the kaleidoscope? thanks

The "100 mw" one.. notttt 100mW 532nm Open-back Kaleidoscopic Green Laser Pointer Pen (2×AAA Included) - DinoDirect.com -- for my first laser I even knew that. it stopped working quite fast too. thanks for reading and teeching me.

I hear o-like have underspec Chinese lasers. I wouldnt buy from them. I would suggest dragonlasers.com or wickedlasers. or dinodirect has a good 100mw -150 pretty cheap. Under 100.

UltraFire WF-501B 150mW 532nm Flashlight Style Green Laser Pointer - DinoDirect.com

50mW 532nm WF-502B Flashlight-Style Green Laser Pointer(1 x 16340/CR123A) - DinoDirect.com

Or from sellers from here. Do your homework about the best lasers before you buy! good luck!

Regards,

Ben

i don't know where your getting your information but o-like lasers are always up to spec and most of the time over :thinking:. i would most definately not buy from dinodirect as their lasers are very bad quality (maybe you got the two mixed up? :)). btw almost every green laser you find on these websites are made by Chinese manufacturers.

Hugo.

what's the best I can get for $200?

this was my first real laser...

Viper Series 95mW Green Laser Pointer :: Green Laser Pointer ----- 532nm Laser ----- Viper Series Lasers :: Handheld Lasers :: Dragon Lasers

it lasted me about 4 years... better to get a high quality like this one rather than a cheap one IMO

If you want one for $100 this one is the same one but less powerful and it will still blow him away

http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/Viper-Series-55mW-Green-Laser-Pointer-p-16160.html

Last edited:
For the budget of $200 I'd get two lasers and a set of safety goggles...

Goggles: Eagle Pair® Laser Safety Goggles

Laser with diffraction heads:
50mW 6 in1 green laser pointer [OLGL6-1] - $28.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Second Green laser:
150mW transformable green laser/adjustable [OLV6100] - $108.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Reviews on the 200mw transformable version seems to be pretty good. Personally I decided to stay away from pen lasers though. They seem to die quickly... and they have very short duty cycles, which no one ever sticks to. Maybe that's why they die so fast:thinking:

rvrh3

I just got a really sweet 200mW laser from Wicked Lasers. They have a 100 mW version (100mW with fresh batteries, ~50mW lowest). The have a terrible reputation in this forum because of their long shipping times and less-than-satisfactory customer service. If you do chose to go with Wicked Lasers, its best to just not think about it for a while because it could arrive in two weeks or 3 months, but it WILL arrive. They have no history of stealing anyones money.

Anyways, the E2 and E3 re very sweet. They have a very nice host design and continuous duty cycle (o-like is a very good company but their lasers have a 60-100 second duty cycles) and its great for star pointing because of the small divergence.

I hear o-like have underspec Chinese lasers. I wouldnt buy from them. I would suggest dragonlasers.com or wickedlasers. or dinodirect has a good 100mw -150 pretty cheap. Under 100.

UltraFire WF-501B 150mW 532nm Flashlight Style Green Laser Pointer - DinoDirect.com

50mW 532nm WF-502B Flashlight-Style Green Laser Pointer(1 x 16340/CR123A) - DinoDirect.com

Or from sellers from here. Do your homework about the best lasers before you buy! good luck!

Regards,

Ben

For what I've read, I'd say o-like lasers are mostly up-to-spec if not overspec. They have a nice QC, they can measure the power before shipping to you and their Customer Service is really good.

@topic
I also suggest you take a look at the last FP laser review by yobresal, although FP is much less reliable than o-like.