Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green Laser Purchase Qs

Koroso

I'm new to lasers, but would really like one. I'm considering for my first one a 5-15mw power one. I definitely want it to be safe and have an ir filter. I really want the beam to be visible at night. I've considered the lyra and even the core and executive lasers at wicked lasers. What lasers at this power range do you recommend? Anyone below $100 is satisfactory. Do I need to worry  about buying glasses if I purchase above 5mw? Bottom line: I want to own a very safe, and very bright laser between 5-15mw that has an ir filter for under $100. Please offer your professional opinion

sb__iq

5 mW is pretty safe. I recommend Optotronics.

Stay the HELL away from FocalPrice and DealExtreme!

Koroso

Is the beam very visible in darkness? I might want to upgrade to 10 or 15mw..

sb__iq said:
5 mW is pretty safe. I recommend Optotronics.

Stay the HELL away from FocalPrice and DealExtreme!
Whats wrong with FP & DX?

If you cant wait shop there; http://[b]o-like.com[/b]/b2b_cplist.asp?catid=447

Grab that one,http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.91
It will take a couple weeks months but it will get there.

The beam should be visible at night, but if you live in a city, get a 30mW.

Too bad you missed the 5mW CNI Pen deal, there should be more of these deal avaible soon, 5mw Cni or Leadlight or Wicked Core.

-Greg

Koroso

what would be the advantage of getting a Lyra or Core? Are they brighter than the same output models on cheaper sites? Any suggestions for 10-15mw models? Thanks

The Lyra models are good because they have a guaranteed constant output; cheaper lasers will fluctuate in power and are often much more powerful than advertised. Lyras will also last longer.

I would not support Wickedlasers. They are well-known around here for being scammers. Their Core lasers are their ONLY good lasers, and the Lyras are better anyways. Don't buy from Wickedlasers at all, I say.

www.o-like.com has good lasers. Order a 5mW laser, and their output power will probably be more than that, but not too high.

-Mark

Koroso

Thanks for helping. Does o-like's cheap price sacrifice quality? Will its beam be as bright? Is it US legal? Sorry for nubish questions about low power lasers...
Edit: What about Nova's X15? I think I want a ~10mw greenie. Any others like this you'd recommend?

Jaseth

O-like has good quality lasers and very good costumer support. Wickedlasers are known for selling underpowered stuff at very high prices and ignoring customers once they have sold you something.
Nothing handheld above 5mW is legal in the US unless they comply with a set of rules.. I forget them all, but they are something like: It must have a shutter lens, it must have a safety key and safety pin and it must have a LED indicator.
Most people do not follow these rules as they have mostly been imposed to stop those idiots who blind their little brother or point the laser at aircrafts. You can purchase the lasers anyway, but DealExtreme will not ship most models to the US (for some reason they still seem to sell the "True" series there though).
If you want a quality ~10mW greenie Nova's X15 is a good choice. I am not too worried about the quality of my low powered lasers so I tend to get them from the DX True series or Ledshoppe. They are not always the best build quality and stability but they are really cheap and have power equal to or higher than advertised. O-like is good value and better quality.
If you want the best and have some money to spend - Nova, Dragonlasers, Optotronics are the companies to go to.

EDIT: Beam strength depends on power. I know Wickedlasers lower powered lasers should be ok with power, but I would still go to ANY other company before them. The better quality, the closer to the advertised power you will get. If you go for the right companies (Ledshoppe and O-like) the cheaper price will often get you stronger than advertised lasers.