Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Green laser pointer range

Since purchasing my 95mw Viper from DL, I am wondering how far the laser is capable of going.

At night when you shine the beam into the sky it looks like it goes completely out of sight.

Does anyone know a good ball park range for a green laser like this?

I pointed mine down the valley one night and got in my truck, drove a mile and stopped.

I had to look carefully, but I could still see the beam.

Remember each photon that bounces back to you from a dust particle is one less that the beam will carry.

On a crisp fog free night, the range will be further than on a night when the beam appears stronger, since more photons are reflected off the water vapor in the air.

D

Deleted member 8382

what does "capable of going" means for you? If it means the distance at which the last photon emited by the laser gets lost, it reaches hundreds of miles probably. If you mean the maximum distance at which the light can be observed with our eyes, then maybe some miles...

It anyway depends much more on the weather conditions than on your laser ;)

On this board,there are posts of lasers hitting hilltops 35 miles away:yh: (375mW @ good atmospheric conditions). There was still enough energy left in the beam that if you were standing on the hill you would notice that you were being illuminated.(quite easily, if there were no light pollution.)
With 95mW, I'd say the same applies, but at 1/2 the perceived brightness. 4X power = 2X P. brightness.
Beam diameter would be large although. W/ DPSS laser,maybe 1-3 feet, depending on the divergence of your laser.(just a edu. guess)
To get a ballpark measurement of your divergence, visit this link;
Laser Pointer - How to Measure Beam Divergence
This page very simple IE: not very accurate. But it works fine for beginners, to learn the basics of beam divergence.